What is "servicing" a regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi tbone,
Are you saying it's ok to work on your own regs if you have a bit of mechanical knowledge? Obviously there's not much to them, I'm guessing it's mainly the people who make money out of servicing them that try to scare you out of DIY?

Cheers, Mike

I have been working on my own regs since before I was certified.... It's not hard at all.
I do believe it is an industry scare tactic to make money. Prior to the big boom of the industry in the 80's ish, regulators actually came with rebuild instructions when you bought them believe it or not. In the box was a full service manual including generic part numbers for o-rings, gaskets, etc etc. Now the SAME manufacturers tell you that it's life support equipment and you need authorized service technicians for it. If it isn't so they make money, then what is it?

I have been working on my own regs since before I was certified.... It's not hard at all.
I do believe it is an industry scare tactic to make money. Prior to the big boom of the industry in the 80's ish, regulators actually came with rebuild instructions when you bought them believe it or not. In the box was a full service manual including generic part numbers for o-rings, gaskets, etc etc. Now the SAME manufacturers tell you that it's life support equipment and you need authorized service technicians for it. If it isn't so they make money, then what is it?
As far as manufacturers go, my thought is liability is the bigger concern, they would likely make more selling kits and parts to the consumer who is a low volume user. The LDS is another story, the have to keep the doors open and the average customer is not inclined to mess with things that they perceive as “life support” anyway.

Yeah I'm far from knowing much but from what I can tell, if your reg fails it gives too much air, not stops giving air completely. I very much doubt there's anything that can really go wrong that'll kill you. There's no one actually policing it anyway is there so if you do service your own the only "proper" service would be needed if you're selling them?

@lexvil not all mfg's have that policy. Poseidon, Deep6, HOG, Dive Rite, Argonaut, all sell parts to end users, no different than you buying parts for your car and DIY. Outside of the US the restrictions are not there either. It is to keep cash flow in the dive shops and the rules are set by the mfg's not the shops.

@Mike1967 rare, but it is possible that some will fail to deliver gas. Very unlikely and if they do it's almost guaranteed to be the first dive after a service. No "proper" service needed if selling them, just put the disclaimer that you should have them serviced before you use them.

As far as manufacturers go, my thought is liability is the bigger concern, they would likely make more selling kits and parts to the consumer who is a low volume user

I don't see how the liability would be any different than auto manufacturers selling parts, you could argue that at 70 mph a car is life support equipment and could cause much more danger to others than a SCUBA regulator. Also, it could be argued, that an auto is a much more complex than a reg, as well.

It is basic restraint of trade in an industry so small it's not worth the time taken to correct.

Bob

I don't see how the liability would be any different than auto manufacturers selling parts, you could argue that at 70 mph a car is life support equipment and could cause much more danger to others than a SCUBA regulator. Also, it could be argued, that an auto is a much more complex than a reg, as well.

It is basic restraint of trade in an industry so small it's not worth the time taken to correct.

Bob
Not selling parts to consumers has nothing to do with liability, although ever dive shop on the planet will tell you it is. No, it's about the manufacturer supporting the dealer network. That's why MAP, MARP, and dealer service and repair clinics exist, to prop up a poor business model.

[USER=492252]@Mike1967
rare, but it is possible that some will fail to deliver gas. Very unlikely and if they do it's almost guaranteed to be the first dive after a service. No "proper" service needed if selling them, just put the disclaimer that you should have them serviced before you use them.[/USER]

Thanks mate, I'll definitely do mine myself when they need doing. Alec Peirce has some great videos on YouTube about servicing and I'm sure there's a lot more.

Cheers, Mike

Alec's videos are more aligned to tuning regulators and that's something that all divers should really know how to do IMO. It's not something you're going to "fix", but it's how to make sure that the regs are performing as good as they can.
@Bryan@Vintage Double Hose actually has some proper videos outlining a full rebuild of several regulators on his youtube channel and I recommend subscribing to that if you want to learn some more in depth than what Alec is doing. Only a few different regulators on his channel, but it outlines the process very well and between reading the manuals for your specific regulator which are available for most models from Frogkick and watching Bryan's videos you can have a very solid idea of how to rebuild a reg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom