What is happening with NAUI these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly, if the code of honor is that restrictive that you're not allowed to be critical of your own ranks, there's something wrong with the code.

Where did I say that you can't be critical of "own ranks"? You have zeroed on an out of context word and totally ignored the rest; voting, elections, FB groups, etc.

Are you sure you're an instructor for NAUI and not the Pyongyang Scuba Association?

Have you read the standards of other agencies' as related to their members conduct?

And you stating that they are guilty of violating their "oath" also doesn't make it so. Just sayin'.

You aren't the judge here, you have no basis to make a judgement in this matter. The message was to a member who can always read their S&P manual. I am not trying to convince you or change your opinion in this matter, it irrelevant.

Where did I say that you can't be critical of "own ranks"? You have zeroed on an out of context word and totally ignored the rest; voting, elections, FB groups, etc.

-> You literally told this person he has no right to ask questions since he didn't vote.

There is no logical link between renewing /voting and being allowed to ask critical questions, you're making connections that aren't there.

Seems to me that a discussion forum is actually a really good place for things like questions and the, you know…discussing they may generate. :popcorn:
I agree. If NAUI is the democratic forum that it claims to be, then there should be no issue discussing publically.

If it is viewed as “airing dirty laundry” maybe the NAUI Leadership shouldn’t generate so much dirty laundry and there will be less issues in the future.

NAUI members are governed by standards and rules set by the agency concerning conduct and ethics we, as members, are required to adhere to these standards in private and public. Violating rules and standards will subject violating members to certain actions. The code of conduct is something every and each single member of NAUI has agreed and signed when they signed up to become NAUI members.

It very low to do this especially when one has signed and sower to respect these rules and covenants. As a member, I am obligated to uphold the rules at all times, just like when I see an instructor or any dive leader violate training or safety standards, I must report it to the responsible party in the agency. We work with an honor code and respect our covenants with our agency.

I would be curious what "standards and rules" you imply that I am breaking by posting on SB? Like you, I sign and attest to abide by the NAUI Membership Agreement every year. There is no rule preventing someone from discussing NAUI on social media or asking the question I did in the Annual Agreement.

You state it is "very low of me to do this" since I should "respect the rules and covenants" of the NAUI Member Agreement.

Maybe you should reread the Member Statement since I seem to recall Section Five of the NAUI Code of Ethics:

COMMITMENT TO THE ASSOCIATION -make every effort to bring about necessary changes in a professional manner by direct personal contact with those fellow-low members who are in positions of authority and responsibility.

NAUI doesn't have interest in squashing these discussions, it encourages them according to their own Member Agreement.

You aren't the judge here, you have no basis to make a judgement in this matter. The message was to a member who can always read their S&P manual. I am not trying to convince you or change your opinion in this matter, it irrelevant.

Essentially you are saying that no one's views matter unless they agree with you. Clearly there are other NAUI members/former members who do not agree with your interpretation of their loyalty oath. That is exactly the point I am trying to make! But keep putting your foot in your mouth. You're making my point for me.

I really don't know a thing about what is happening with the NAUI board, and I don't really care. It is none of my business. I do find this all curious though, because of something that happened on ScubaBoard about a decade ago.

There were many discussions begun by a former member named DCBC, a NAUI instructor. He was openly hating on PADI, and he made many, many, many disparaging and blatantly untrue comments about PADI policies. I made a comment in one of those threads about the fact that with PADI, it would be a violation of member standards to say anything disparaging about another agency like that. I would be severely punished by PADI if I were to say the things he was saying as a NAUI member about PADI. He replied in triumph that this was another way that NAUI was superior to PADI--there were no restrictions like that in its standards. He was free to say anything disparaging he wanted, because NAUI did not restrict his freedom to do so.

So, I don't know the NAUI standards. Is that true?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom