What is happening with NAUI these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no dog in this fight. I've never had a thing to do with NAUI. Just pointing out that jumping the OPs case just makes you look, well, like a defensive NAUI-fanboi.

So when I point out that somebody is grossly violating their "word" and covenant and all standards makes me a "defensive" "fanboi"?

You argue that a member of the "family" shouldn't air such questions in public, but then you say someone who is not a member of the "family" has no right to air such questions in public.
So when a person is divorced from their spouse, they can just go into PUBLIC forums and talk about their former spouse bringing out intimate details and spread falsehoods and misinformation and all is OK?

So what you really want is for no one to be able to ask questions about the NAUI BOD. Smells like censorship to me.
There are other venues for NAUI members to air out their grievances and bring out whatever they see wrong with the BoD and NAUI. Heck, I am the founder and Admin of the LARGEST NAUI scuba instructors group on FB where NAUI instructors bring out all they have on their mind. This is a private group open to verified NAUI scuba instructors and I do it myself with over 800 members. Membership of this group is restricted to verified NAUI scuba instructors.

So when I point out that somebody is grossly violating their "word" and covenant and all standards makes me a "defensive" "fanboi"?

So when a person is divorced from their spouse, they can just go into PUBLIC forums and talk about their former spouse bringing out intimate details and spread falsehoods and misinformation and all is OK?

I'm not convinced the OP has done anything of the sort. They simply asked a question.

Also, your comparison to a divorce between two people is laughable. That is a completely different matter entirely.

I honestly don't give a flip about NAUI. Just pointing out what you're engaging in here seems an awful lot like censorship.

I will say my dive buddy has Naui and his advanced was far more intensive than mine. It seems his training and requirements in general have been more through.

I'm not convinced the OP has done anything of the sort. They simply asked a question.

You being convinced or not, doesn't matter and is irrelevant. You don't know the rules and standards of the organization so how can you judge?

Any organization which requires a gag rule for it's members is one that should be avoided.
And those that don't understand and live up to professional conduct, shouldn't apply especially those that don't respect their word.

Any organization which requires a gag rule for it's members is one that should be avoided.

And there is diver training agency in the universe that gives you a voice and power as much as NAUI does, you don't like the BoD, you don't like policies, you don't like standards, you have a VOTE in NAUI as a member and you vote the BoD out and replace them. You can lobby to change the standards and the rules. ONLY NAUI AFAIK gives its members, the instructors, this vote and power, no other agency I know of does this.

All other agencies would bring ethics charges against you and kick your rear out if you criticise them in public or conduct yourself in an unprofessional manner contrary to their standards. It is all in the fine print when you sign up.

And you have no voice or even a half vote in the running or conduct of these agencies, only NAUI gives you a vote to make a change and a difference.

Heck, NAUI even gives you the right to run for the Board of Directors (BoD) and get elected to the board if you get enough votes. Your fellow members would vote you in if you convince them that you have what it takes on the BoD or they vote for somebody else. Tell me what other agency gives you this much power and rights? NONE! You want to make a difference and bring about changes, NAUI gives you the power and channel to do it through proper procedures and following standards like no other agency out there.

You being convinced or not, doesn't matter and is irrelevant. You don't know the rules and standards of the organization so how can you judge?

And you stating that they are guilty of violating their "oath" also doesn't make it so. Just sayin'.

NAUI members are governed by standards and rules set by the agency concerning conduct and ethics we, as members, are required to adhere to these standards in private and public. Violating rules and standards will subject violating members to certain actions. The code of conduct is something every and each single member of NAUI has agreed and signed when they signed up to become NAUI members.

I am not defensive, I am setting the record straight.

One can come here in this PUBLIC "discussion forum" and bring out the internal affairs of their marital relationship and not leave anything to imagination and will be OK by the "forum's T&Cs" but he/she will be violating the sanctity and privacy of their family and expected conduct and decorum within their family/organization unit. It very low to do this especially when one has signed and sower to respect these rules and covenants. As a member, I am obligated to uphold the rules at all times, just like when I see an instructor or any dive leader violate training or safety standards, I must report it to the responsible party in the agency. We work with an honor code and respect our covenants with our agency.

Honestly, if the code of honor is that restrictive that you're not allowed to be critical of your own ranks, there's something wrong with the code.

Are you sure you're an instructor for NAUI and not the Pyongyang Scuba Association?

Back
Top Bottom