What is happening with NAUI these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't know a thing about what is happening with the NAUI board, and I don't really care. It is none of my business.

So, I don't know the NAUI standards. Is that true?

Probably better to start another thread to get that answer.

Heck, I am the founder and Admin of the LARGEST NAUI scuba instructors group on FB
A shame I can't stand FB.

Edit: Typo

So to summarize this thread today.........

Sparta.jpg

And those that don't understand and live up to professional conduct, shouldn't apply especially those that don't respect their word.
So, why are you PUBLICLY denouncing a former NAUI instructor? You can do it, but he can't? Interesting.
Honestly, if the code of honor is that restrictive that you're not allowed to be critical of your own ranks, there's something wrong with the code.
Indeed.
All other agencies would bring ethics charges against you and kick your rear out if you criticise them in public or conduct yourself in an unprofessional manner contrary to their standards. It is all in the fine print when you sign up.
The "everybody does it" defense. Most of those policies were written before the onset of the Internet or Social Media. This "don't criticize me" mindset is elitist and narcissistic to its core. Why would you rather lie to the world than allow your reality to be on display? Why not be transparent? Why not work to resolve the problems? Why not continually change to be better? This is one of the very reasons I left NAUI oh so many years ago. All the gung-ho NAUI members would tell you that NAUI leads the way. As far as I can tell they were the last to adopt online learning, the last to require PDCs, and last I knew, they still didn't acknowledge Side Mount, even in a cave. Telling the world you're a leader, doesn't make you one.
COMMITMENT TO THE ASSOCIATION -make every effort to bring about necessary changes in a professional manner by direct personal contact with those fellow-low members who are in positions of authority and responsibility.
Their failure to be able to accomplish this was yet another reason I left NAUI.

The agencies kinda hate ScubaBoard. We don't try to control the message, but let the users work things out. I was told by one recently deceased head of an agency that I was the most irresponsible person in Scuba because I let YOU, the user, speak your collective minds. Well, lah tee dah.

For the record, I turned out better divers after I left NAUI. It had nothing to do with NAUI, but I got better and better despite leaving NAUI. Agencies don't teach SCUBA: they license their name for instructors to teach Scuba. The instructor chooses the agency and the student chooses the instructor/shop.

I was taught in my NAUI IDC that for a conscientious instructor, their next class would always be their best. It was a commitment to not only improve but to improvise. Perhaps NAUI should re-embrace that concept so they can stop losing competent instructors?

Honestly, if the code of honor is that restrictive that you're not allowed to be critical of your own ranks, there's something wrong with the code.

Are you sure you're an instructor for NAUI and not the Pyongyang Scuba Association?
Rather than attacking BoltSnap for his comment, perhaps it might be better to examine the codes of ethics / practice of various training / certification agencies, as well as other professional organizatrons.

For example, in the PADI Member Code of Practice the statement is made that a PADI Member will:

12. Not disparage the PADI organization, PADI Members or any other dive industry professionals.

Note that applies not only to criticizing other PADI professionals, but dive professionals of other agencies as well.

And, at the end, the Code also states, 'If you breach the Code of Practice, your PADI Membership is at risk.'

What BoltSnap said about NAUI is consistent with the standards of many agencies.

The goal is not to suppress truth. Rather, it is intended to point out that subjective professional bickering and fits of jealousy are NOT the proper attributes of any professional.

Bar associations, and medical associations, in the US and elsewhere, adopt similar standards of professionalism. Would you suggest that the ABA and AMA should be renamed as the Pyongyang Medical Association, or the Pyongyang Bar Association?

If I disagree with what another Instructor does / did, and wish to publically comment on it, I might say, 'I do not beleive I would not have done the same in that situation . . . ', probably giving reasons why I would not have done that, and leave it at that. That is a personal statement regarding my own behavior, not an indictment or disparagement of another dive professional.

If I disagree with the practices of my training agency, I can express my dissatisfaction by a) direct communication with the agency headquarters, or b) discontinuing my affiliation with that agency. I can even publically state what I disagree with, and articulate specific reasons why I disagree and what I would like to see changed .

Just a thought.

And, at the end, the Code also states, 'If you breach the Code of Practice, your PADI Membership is at risk.'
This makes me laugh, as when a former PADI instructor had a phone conversation with someone at PADI HQ about dangerous practices he observed, he was told this. But then he said "No problem, I'll just cross over to another agency" the PADI rep backed off with threat.

This isn't unique to PADI by any stretch of the imagination. Taking try scuba participants (you know this isn't PADI by the use of terms) into a cavern with a single tank, no lights, with greater than 1:4 ratio as reported by a former employee of that dive center resulted in no action being taken. You can't get more d@mning evidence, can you?

For PADI, you can make homophobic remarks to staff, nothing happens. You can disrupt the training of paying pros due to your own bad planning, and nothing happens. I'm referring to the same individual.

The industry is a cesspool. You want to get an agency to take action? Someone really needs to be egregious. Look at the Seattle dive center that has 3 fatalities in the past decade. They still are running. That dive center I mentioned above, still running.

I'm sure people can cite cases where people got the boot that didn't involve litigation for said agency, but one cannot dispute that the rules are not being applied consistently.

When people talk about code of conduct, I generally laugh as it is mostly lip service.

When people talk about code of conduct, I generally laugh as it is mostly lip service.
I might not say 'mostly', but I understand and agree with your point.

I believe that an organization that establishs a standard of professional conduct and then fails - actively or passively - to enforce that standard, risks discrediting itself. I am aware of such failures intermittently in both of the training agencies through which I teach, and I have to presume they occur in other agencies as well. And, when I become aware of them, I am disappointed, frustrated, and angered, because that failure reflects on ME as a member.

But, I also don't use such situations to publically 'bash' either agency. Moreover, I most certainly DO NOT laugh at it, because I believe that doing so actually reflects a form of complicity on my part. Instead, I use the opportunity to actively communicate my dissaisfaction within the organization. If I can contribute to change, good. If I cannot stimulate any change, I have to choice of staying or leaving.

I might not say 'mostly', but I understand and agree with your point.

I believe that an organization that establishs a standard of professional conduct and then fails - actively or passively - to enforce that standard, risks discrediting itself. I am aware of such failures intermittently in both of the training agencies through which I teach, and I have to presume they occur in other agencies as well. And, when I become aware of them, I am disappointed, frustrated, and angered, because that failure reflects on ME as a member.
I don't believe that the transgressions of different agencies reflects to me as an instructor, professional, or person. I am likely more cynical than most, but I do believe there is some validity to the arguments that the industry has serious problems with ethics and safety.
But, I also don't use such situations to publically 'bash' either agency.
Stating facts is and never will be bashing.
Moreover, I most certainly DO NOT laugh at it, because I believe that doing so actually reflects a form of complicity on my part.
Should I cry instead? It isn't joyful laughs, but of disdain.
Instead, I use the opportunity to actively communicate my dissaisfaction within the organization. If I can contribute to change, good. If I cannot stimulate any change, I have to choice of staying or leaving.
I have, others have communicated dissatisfaction, reported incidents to no avail.

If I require to teach for a completely ethical training agency, I don't think there is one so I'll have to quit teaching all together. Or I start the Association of Reputable Scuba Educators. Maybe I'm super successful and people won't say "I got my PADI" but rather "I got my ....."

I have to accept that transgressions have been tolerated in the past and will likely be tolerated in the future for the sake of revenue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom