What Is Flotation ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eastwest

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Flotation involves phenomena related to the relative buoyance of objects . Flotation is any material added to the hull of a watercraft to keep the hull afloat , yes indeed this is where I'am at today adding material to this big divercraft . You and me know that one square foot displaces 64 pounds of water so that is 64 pounds of buoyancy and that is a fact . I will divide 64 into 1728 cubic square inches to determine one pound of buoyancy . The answer is in fact 27 cubic inches for one pound of buoyancy . We will examine closer the number 27 and a cubic 3 inch block which is 3 times 3 times 3 . The number 3 like the holy trinity is somewhat special to me . The Holy See , you and me should take time to ponder what we really need . Peace and Love should be our destiny . Rumdumb

Your calculation assumes the foam has no density. However, GOOD foam (like syntactic) is about 28 pounds per cuft. So your calculation ought to be 1728/(64-28) = 48 cu inches of syntactic foam needed. That is a block about 3.6-3.7 inches on a side.

ADDED: some syntactic foam is less dense than the example above, some more. You need to decide on your maximum operating depth to help choose the right foam. For example, in the link below, UL-8 is just 8 pounds/cuft, and its compressive strength is 150 psi (about 10 ATM).

Thank you for the good advice tursiops , you really now your stuff like mentioning the OMS low pressure 131 scuba tank bought thirty years ago with two still in my garage !

God i'm thankful we use the metric system...
Just different algebra but the same physics. The critical part is subtracting the density of the flotation from the density of salt water. The metric system does not help you remember to do that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom