What is Ballistic Nylon...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I know what ballistic means and I know what nylon means... but I have no idea what *ballistic nylon* means.

Now I supposed it could be referencing plastic sabots but I don't think that is what is meant because I see in used all the time to describe the material that certain tech wannabe BCs are made of...

Hmmm.....

...do you suppose it means *extra-buoyant* nylon ?

Maybe it really does make you bulletproof! :wink:

I think it's marketing verbage to mean it's some tuff stuff.

once upon a time, the manufacturers... I'm guessing DuPont... provided nylon to be the outer layer on flak jackets. Since it was used as part of these flack jackets, calling it "ballistic nylon" must have proved that it was tuff stuff, and therefore justified the higher pricetag over "normal" nylon.

come-on UP.... you know the dredgers require this heavier duty nylon to reduce wear on their BC's :wink:

ps. yes, buoyant nylon is the same as ballistic nylon.

Let's let Pug hold some up as we shoot at it and see if it works.

Are you game Pug? :D

Chad

* What is Ballistic Nylon?

Originally developed for use in bulletproof vests, genuine American-made 1050 denier nylon is one of the toughest fabrics in the world. While some luggage manufacturers have tried to imitate this fabric, the american-made Allied Signal Fibers Tru-Ballistic 1050 denier fabric meets U.S. Military Specification #MIL-C-12369F-GL. Always know what you are buying!

* What is the Definition of "Denier" in Ballistic Nylon?

"Denier" refers to the weight, NOT the strength of an individual fiber that goes into making a fabric. Therefor, a higher denier count does not indicate a stronger fabric, it just means a heavier fabric. Strength and abrasion resistance are achieved through molecular manipulation, or how a fabric is stretched, spun, or woven. These characteristics are measured through tenacity (strength per denier), breaking strength (tenacity x denier) and toughness. Laboratory tests prove that the Tru-Ballistic 1050 denier fabric is the strongest and most durable fabric for its denier weight level.

Rick

...from what I have found so far Ballistic Nylon is indeed different from ordinary nylon:

1. more abrasion resistant by far.
2. more puncture resistant by far.
3. stronger by far.
4. smoother than cordura.

No. The original ballistic nylon might have been, once upon a time, but the word has degenerated into just another buzzword, with no more specific meaning than "heavy duty" or "aircraft quality. Now it's just used very loosely when a company wants to indicate a heavier grade of nylon, or wants you to think it is.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
...from what I have found so far Ballistic Nylon is indeed different from ordinary nylon:

3. stronger by far.

To take Ricks answer a little further, 1050 Denier Yarn, equates to 1050 grams per 9000kms or 117 grams per kilometre or 4.25 thousand yards per pound.

What I have yet to work out is what the 1050 is referanced to. As a single or plied yarn, that makes it bloody thick, almost too thick to use in the weft or fill. Im guesing its a "made up" number regarding the density of the woven fabric, but its uncommon, or it could be the final twisted product used in the warp.

As for Ballistic......wouldnt have a bloody clue.:D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

3. stronger by far.

Tuff Stuff! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom