What's in SF Tech, Light Monkey heated elements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hey all,

I am trying to understand the technical differences between SF Tech and Light Monkey heating elements so that I can choose the safest option. If you have experience with these or the knowledge, please share. Specifically, I want to know whether the heating pads utilize wiring that can break and short.

From SF Tech site:

For maximum flexibility and strength, the insulation of the electrical wires is made of silicone and the cables are covered with a nylon braided protective sheath.
I read the statement above as "we use traditional wiring with extra safety measures."

From LM site:
Unlike traditional heater vests, these thermal pads use a silicone-insulated, carbon fiber heating element instead of wire, so they won't bend and short out over time.

Based on that, sounds like LM is what I am looking for.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thank you!

They're all electric blankets. Treat them carefully and they'll last for years.

Over in Europe, most people use the Santi vests. I have used them for years without problems.

The piece that breaks is the drysuit inflator where the E/O cable has a tight bend.

Still waiting for my custom BZ400 + heating. Hoping that'll be the end of the decompression blues...

Over in Europe, most people use the Santi vests. I have used them for years without problems.

The piece that breaks is the drysuit inflator where the E/O cable has a tight bend.

Still waiting for my custom BZ400 + heating. Hoping that'll be the end of the decompression blues...
Except for the risk of shorts in non-coated, standard wire

Except for the risk of shorts in non-coated, standard wire
Has that ever happened with a Santi?

Those vests are machine washable, tumble dryable, or appropriate for a drysuit vest, are drycleanable.

I’ve two vests, both labels show this:
BE2BF1F6-DAA0-46C1-B915-0E143E08D5B1.jpeg

Will sling them in for washing!

You're right in spirit. The devil is in details. There are some vests (aka heated blankets) that use wiring that may not be safe in certain conditions. Then there are others that rely on safer methods of delivering heat. These are the details I want to understand before committing to a heating system. Right now, my top candidates are:

- Light Monkey
- SF Tech - will complement my suit but is $$$
- Santi

I have yet to find a vest that doesn't use the same genaric waterproof/coated carbon filimiant wire.

There are other technologies out there, but I haven't seen them used in diving vests yet.

@Whitrzac - what do folks dive in your area? I see you're in Wisconsin. What's a good late fall, early spring setup for you?

There is another factor at play. This is pretty low voltage stuff. Generally in the 12V range. You can touch both posts of a car battery with your hands and typically don't feel anything. A few times, with just the right sweat on my arms, I might get the slightest of tingles.

You are not playing with 120V (or you Europeans with your 240V) mains house power in an electric blanket. Just 12V that you can get road spray on it, then hose it off, and it just doesn't care. They will let mechanics work on up to 42V systems without special high voltage protocols.

I have the sf tech and am quite impressed by it.
The sweater is a fairly thick and warm on its own, similar to an arctic fourth element.

The owner of the tech dive shop that I go to, was at a Dema show.He stopped at the sf tech booth, and they demonstrated to him stabbing the heating pads with a knife in front of him, and they kept working. I think that was a selling point for them. So not made with heating wire but heating carbon pad I believe.

All wiring for sweater “element pads “and gloves is rooted inside the sweater which makes it a breeze to dress up and connect to glove system.
The gloves are also very powerful but you still need outer layer liner over the gloves at extreme temps 40f and below, so as not to loose to much heat to the water outside of glove. I use rag wool glove liner and does the job.

I dove yesterday at 32f for two hours on scooter and called the dive because of my feet. At this temperature I wear the sf tech under my 3D halo fourth element and a rag wool liner over the gloves. My hands and body were toasty the whole two hours.

All wiring for sweater “element pads “and gloves is rooted inside the sweater which makes it a breeze to dress up and connect to glove system.
Did you have to buy the wiring separately from the undergarments? I looked at the pricing - it is $400 for the wiring! Kinda crazy if you think about it. LM wiring/sweater is $440 altogether...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom