What is Ballistic Nylon...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understood the word Balistic as used here to be a trade name much klike the work velcro, zerox, etc

1050 is the amount of single strands of nylon in a piece of nylon yarn. Since they are about the sames size as a strand of spider web, this would make sense.
Anybody want to count em to make sure?

OBTW I am always for "molecular manipulatio," makes the day go by so much smoother!

I can vouch for BN. It's absolutely amazing stuff.

I fenced while at UMass, and the top jackets/pants we could buy were made out of ballistic nylon. The material is light, flexible, breathes well, and holds its own against the broken blades that try to pierce your chest, arms, neck, quads, etc., when things go awry.

The 1600N masks we wore were pretty sweet also. I found myself giving many thanks to Allstar for keeping the blade tips from sticking through my eye and into my brain. Not the best way to go, IMO :)

Matt

Why settle for Ballistic nylon when you could get kevlar fabric. Much stronger and it is not going to melt when the temperature gets too high. Good when you are doing vent chute diving.

I know drysuit manufacturers are touting both cordura and ballistic nylon as their top of the line tough exterior layers...where does kevlar fit into the mix?

xoomboy once bubbled...
I can vouch for BN. It's absolutely amazing stuff.

I fenced while at UMass, and the top jackets/pants we could buy were made out of ballistic nylon. The material is light, flexible, breathes well, and holds its own against the broken blades that try to pierce your chest, arms, neck, quads, etc., when things go awry.

The 1600N masks we wore were pretty sweet also. I found myself giving many thanks to Allstar for keeping the blade tips from sticking through my eye and into my brain. Not the best way to go, IMO :)

Matt

Matt,

You might want to try a differant fencing material, seems the fences your are building are a little too dangerous. Perhaps you should stick to picket fences.....:wink:

That swift attack vessel has the making of a serious dive vessel eh. mOunt a 50 cal da front and no more problems with crowded dive sites...............

I thought the term ballistic came about when the stronger nylon was being used to make AFF parachute rigs. They used it to replace some harnesses that formerly used metal parts to make a no signature outfit called the smugglers rig. I may be way off base here. I do live in my own little world. As far as true kevlar. When made into a thread ...it will cut itself if not wrapped or sheathed by another material like nylon and it is VERY sensitive to UV rays and breaks down too rapidly to be used for drysuits. (Any recent break throughs of kevlar technology aside)
Or was it designed to hold the gadgets to UP's killer dolphins?

As 'wreckwriter' once mentioned, there are kevlar gloves available. These see use by fishermen and divers who scale or filet fish. The only other dive application I've seen is shooting line for spearguns. I guess one could count the few custom boats with kevlar fabric/composite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom