What is an optimal dive watch for dive master?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whatever watch you like is the best watch. I use an Oceanic OCi and really like it. I have one friend that uses a Suunto D6i and one other that uses the Scubapro M2, they both swear by them. It's all personal preference and taste in style.

A couple of things here.

One that hasn't been pointed out yet: As a DM, if you're going to assist and instructor in the pool (and certainly as an instructor) you'll need a good timing device. Some skills have a minimum time limit.

You can of course use a waterproof watch, or some computers have a timer. - Whatever you need to be able to access it and reset it easily (if the student messes up the skill and you need to start over.

I dive an Eon Steel. It's certainly a high end machine, in my area is was slightly cheaper than a Perdix. However in the pool wearing a skin it's a heavy bulky bit of kit (the Eon core would be better) It's screen and display however, is the best on the market.

BUT. I have to be careful of my settings when teaching or guiding. For instance. If I have it set to the least conservative setting then, I would still have NDL but other divers (including someone with a Perdix set to low conservatism) would show Deco on their computers.

Hence I have a different mode which I switch to for guiding where I have set it to replicate computers that are more conservative.

Don't' worry about a digital compass - better to have a Suunto SK8 on your wrist (for guiding or demo)

The D4i is a nice light weight "cheap" computer - easy to read if you have young eyes.

The D6i will allow you up to 3 gases but in my opinion/experience if you are at that point you'll have an additional "tech" computer.

That said Suunto do sell the D6i as a special edition only available to dive pros (it has a blue webbing strap which is more hardwearing than the standard edition.

In summary - The Suunto Algorithm is fine for Rec diving and guiding
Get something easy to read
Something easy to operate
Don't worry about built in compass - buy an normal wrist one
DO make sure it has a timer or you have an additional timing device

A couple of things here.

One that hasn't been pointed out yet: As a DM, if you're going to assist and instructor in the pool (and certainly as an instructor) you'll need a good timing device. Some skills have a minimum time limit.

You can of course use a waterproof watch, or some computers have a timer. - Whatever you need to be able to access it and reset it easily (if the student messes up the skill and you need to start over.

I dive an Eon Steel. It's certainly a high end machine, in my area is was slightly cheaper than a Perdix. However in the pool wearing a skin it's a heavy bulky bit of kit (the Eon core would be better) It's screen and display however, is the best on the market.

BUT. I have to be careful of my settings when teaching or guiding. For instance. If I have it set to the least conservative setting then, I would still have NDL but other divers (including someone with a Perdix set to low conservatism) would show Deco on their computers.

Hence I have a different mode which I switch to for guiding where I have set it to replicate computers that are more conservative.

Don't' worry about a digital compass - better to have a Suunto SK8 on your wrist (for guiding or demo)

The D4i is a nice light weight "cheap" computer - easy to read if you have young eyes.

The D6i will allow you up to 3 gases but in my opinion/experience if you are at that point you'll have an additional "tech" computer.

That said Suunto do sell the D6i as a special edition only available to dive pros (it has a blue webbing strap which is more hardwearing than the standard edition.

In summary - The Suunto Algorithm is fine for Rec diving and guiding
Get something easy to read
Something easy to operate
Don't worry about built in compass - buy an normal wrist one
DO make sure it has a timer or you have an additional timing device
Thanks a lot , I do not plan to mix 3 gasses, and I have tried built in compass it seems to me not so functional, we have here d6i a lot, lot of strap options etc. I will go with suunto d4i novo, sakura pink and ocean colored ones at great discount because mostly men buys them and they buy black. (100 dolar difference)
BTW I have read about algorithms and suunto's algorithm is very similar to ZHL-16C (Z+), I do not have practical knowledge just have read but zhl-16c is nearly same as suunto RGBM . And it is really easy to read I think.

So is aqualung safer?

I started as scuba diver long before freediving, so I bought a Cressi Leonardo 5 years ago, and I'm very conformable about it, as long it works for me, not seeking any replacement ... also I'm looking for a freediving wrist console

Hi,
I am thinking of buying suunto d4i novo. Haven't tried nor used any of them before and will be my first computer.
Every shop here recommends suunto, and most of the people wears them, not so functional but expensive I think, need some advise, I do not know the difference between algorithms (I have read but really can not understand as I have not experienced)
I liked aqua lung i450t about functionality but not sure, nobody has ever used any brand except suunto around me. And also scubapro chromis and scubaprmantis 1 too . Aqualung , scubapro mantis and suunto novo d4i about same price (500 - 550 dolars) and scubapro chromis ( 450 dolars)
Please help me with the algorithms and what is best deal :) So confused.
What are your thoughts and any advice. Thanks :)

It comes aside with your budget allowance, if you buy the best gear possible so you can have it forever, go for it, but, the truth is, if you wanna lead and be responsible for others, you should be able to dive and comprehend any crapy equipment, the worst condition is the best trainer, as long it marks the basic safety stuff, it works

I saw dork-nauts with expensive gear who couldnt back roll into the water, and swell divers with second tier equipment ... also I saw swell divers very well equipped

BTW I have read about algorithms and suunto's algorithm is very similar to ZHL-16C (Z+), I do not have practical knowledge just have read but zhl-16c is nearly same as suunto RGBM . And it is really easy to read I think.
Buehlmann and RGBM are completely different models for one. To make it even more complicated, Suunto doesn’t use RGBM, but some proprietary variant and nobody seems to know what it is exactly. That being said, both algorithms appear to be producing safe recreational dive profiles.

Buehlmann and RGBM are completely different models for one. To make it even more complicated, Suunto doesn’t use RGBM, but some proprietary variant and nobody seems to know what it is exactly.

No. It is somewhat true, yet every part of it is mostly wrong.

Buhlmann is a straight "exponential" model, RGBM is a set of fudge factors on top of an exponential model. They're both based on the same idea of tissues on- and off-gassing at logarithmic rate, with different rates for different types of tissue. I.e. they're not completely different, RGBM is the same cake with different icing on top.

RGBM is proprietary, very few people know what it, or rather its fudge factors, exactly are. What is published is Dr. Weinke's general considerations behind those factors.

RGBM's fudge factors can be adjusted for its intended use ("kind of diving") and different vendors -- not just Suunto -- do that. In addition, low-end recreational computers typically don't have the compute power to calculate those exactly, so they run "folded" formula: a simplified version whose results are "close enough" to the real thing over some range of dive profiles. Again, different vendors may come up with slightly different simplified versions. Or even the same vendor's different computer models. Or firmware revisions on the same model.

No. It is somewhat true, yet every part of it is mostly wrong.

Buhlmann is a straight "exponential" model, RGBM is a set of fudge factors on top of an exponential model. They're both based on the same idea of tissues on- and off-gassing at logarithmic rate, with different rates for different types of tissue. I.e. they're not completely different, RGBM is the same cake with different icing on top.

RGBM is proprietary, very few people know what it, or rather its fudge factors, exactly are. What is published is Dr. Weinke's general considerations behind those factors.

RGBM's fudge factors can be adjusted for its intended use ("kind of diving") and different vendors -- not just Suunto -- do that. In addition, low-end recreational computers typically don't have the compute power to calculate those exactly, so they run "folded" formula: a simplified version whose results are "close enough" to the real thing over some range of dive profiles. Again, different vendors may come up with slightly different simplified versions. Or even the same vendor's different computer models. Or firmware revisions on the same model.

What about the statement that both models are completely different do you deem "wrong". The Buhlmann (sic) model is an dissolved gas model based on Haldanes work, whereas RGBM, like VPM, attempts to accommodate bubbles in a dual phase approach. Still, Suunto doesn't even use RGBM. Also what is wrong with the statement that both models, produce safe recreational dive profiles?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom