What is an optimal dive watch for dive master?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater Teric looks like a good option.

For that money I'd wait for garmin to add WAI to their watch: at least there you get a dorkwatch to wear to the gym. Like all the other cool kids.

If OP's location is correct, she may be better off with one of the ratio watches: for about the same money it's the watch and the pressure sensor that's usable on its own too. I'm sure Teric's ultra-crisp-super-amoled screen looks great in the dark though, if that's where OP normally dives, that is something to consider.

... and the pressure sensor that's usable on its own too.

In retrospect I should probably clarify that: Ratio's pressure sensors have LEDs that show the tank pressure -- very roughly of course, as "green" - "orange" - "red" -- but still they are somewhat usable without the computer.

Otimal dive watch = Rolex submariner
Optimal dive computer = Shearwater Petrel/Perdix

It's important that all divers in a group are using computers with at least similar algorithms (by result). The DSaT algorithm was very popular with North American divers because it was installed in Pelagic-made computers (Oceanic etc) but it is much more liberal (for no-deco-stop) diving than European sourced algorithms and for that reason, Oceanic eventually supplied computers with dual algorithms. Be aware of which algorithm your dual-algorithm computer is set to.

If I was your customer, paying you to lead me on a dive, and I had to end my dive early because your computer was about to put you into deco (because it was more conservative than mine), I would not be a happy customer.

I am not very experienced diver, however, I think that it is pretty hard to get into deco during recreational training dives. Firstly, dive profiles are quite shallow and rarely exceed 30 m which is a limit for PADI AOWD. Secondly, people are diving with 12 L tanks, which are usually filled in up to 180-190 bars. Accordingly dives rarely exceed 40 min. If diving guide goes to deco, then it is clear that he/she is doing something very wrong.

My dive guides / instructors were using Suunto D4i, Oceanic Geo 2 and other simple dive computers. Perdix and other fancy stuff is required for technical divers. For example, I have Cressi Newton, which is entry level computer, however, it has Nitrox functionality (up to 99% FO2), ability to dive with 2 gases. This diving computer can be used even in some technical dives as it has deco mode and does not lock if you go to deco. Divemasters should use similar computers which will be used by their clients. Also, I have never seen that someone would be using air transmitters during training dives as usually you go and pick any regulator for dive from regulators box (you just do not have time to install air transmitter to it).

Hi,
I am thinking of buying suunto d4i novo. Haven't tried nor used any of them before and will be my first computer.
Every shop here recommends suunto, and most of the people wears them, not so functional but expensive I think, need some advise, I do not know the difference between algorithms (I have read but really can not understand as I have not experienced)
I liked aqua lung i450t about functionality but not sure, nobody has ever used any brand except suunto around me. And also scubapro chromis and scubaprmantis 1 too . Aqualung , scubapro mantis and suunto novo d4i about same price (500 - 550 dolars) and scubapro chromis ( 450 dolars)
Please help me with the algorithms and what is best deal :) So confused.
What are your thoughts and any advice. Thanks :)

I think that for purely recreational diving that the differences in algorithms are not very relevant. I don't think there are any unsafe computers on the market. Where the important differences in algorithms really start to show up is when you have long decompression times.

I think the best thing you can do, in fact, is to look at the operation of the computer. User friendliness is very different from one type of computer to another. In that sense, if I were to buy a computer just for guiding dives and/or assisting with courses then I would just buy a Mares Puck or something to that effect. The reason for that is that it has a large, clean display and only a limited number of functions that are all found under the same button. Also, they're relatively affordable as computers go so you won't cry if it gets damaged or stolen.

I have two computers that I use for training. Both are older Suunto's and I bought both of them second hand. Sometimes I give them both to students and just dive on tables myself. For training this is possible if you're not diving every day.

R..

It's important that all divers in a group are using computers with at least similar algorithms (by result)..

Why is that important?

I am not very experienced diver, however, I think that it is pretty hard to get into deco during recreational training dives.

I was not talking about training dives. I was talking about a divemaster leading paid customers who are certified divers. I.e. functioning as a dive guide.

I have Cressi Newton, which is entry level computer, however, it has Nitrox functionality (up to 99% FO2), ability to dive with 2 gases. This diving computer can be used even in some technical dives as it has deco mode and does not lock if you go to deco.

I don't know of any dive computer on the market that will lock if you go into deco. Do you?

I only know of computers that will lock into gauge mode if you go into deco and then do not complete the mandatory stops. And I suspect the Newton will do that, just like every other computer I know of.

Divemasters should use similar computers which will be used by their clients.

Why?

I have two computers that I use for training. Both are older Suunto's and I bought both of them second hand. Sometimes I give them both to students and just dive on tables myself.

In that scenario, you yourself are diving with no device to tell you your depth and dive time? Is this in open water or confined?

Back
Top Bottom