what is "altitude diving" and # of dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done several dives a day at Pleasant, including 3 training dives a day. The 2 dive limit is a recommendation, not a set standard. PADI does allow 3 training dives at altitude. Look at the table, there is not much of a difference in the depth when adjusting for the 2000' level. And my guess is most, if not all, of your Lake Pleasant dives are shallower than 60'. The adjustment is next to nothing. Head down to Patagonia and you should probably limit yourself to 2 dives a day. But at Pleasant, you should be find doing however many dives you want, especially since you live at the same elevation. Like John Sampson said, "Have a great weekend of diving."

The NOAA Diving Manual states, "Repetitive dives may be conducted at altitude. The procedure is identical to that at sea level, with the exception that the sea level equivalent dive depth is always used to replace the actual dive depth."

This is pretty funny, you got John F. on here telling you about 2 dives a day and how smart the training agencies are, but he posts on his blog about doing 6 dives in a day at LP, do as he says, not as he does.

Hi John, I'd like to thank you for pointing out the conflict between my blog where I state we (as a group) did six dives in a day. We were out there all day and yes, we did six dives. I participated in three of them. Two of them we were practicing rescue diver skills which, as you know, tend to be shallow and short. However, should I have chosen to do more, I would be responsible for my own profile. Which was my point being made.

Yes, as a whole, I do think the training agencies are very bright when it comes to dive education information and putting together recommendations for the general diving population. I am certainly not going to say I don't disagree with them from time to time and perhaps, armed with some experience and knowledge, exceed them.

Lastly, I tend to advise new divers (such as the OP) follow agency guidelines and recommendations. Especially when I don't know them well enough to recommend something less conservative (as would be the case with the OP).

I wish you guys a safe journey home from Mexico.

Respectfully,

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom