What is all this stuff!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunkmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone,

I recently acquired a bunch of older dive gear - Not what I would call 'Vintage', but still old. (Late 70's - early 80's mostly) - I think some of it is older than I am

I am having some trouble identifying many of the items (Did they not believe in model numbers back then??) and was hoping for some help. If anyone has an info on what the items are, and if it is something that may be a collectible, it would be greatly appreciated. (And, if anything is valuable ;-) - I'm not planning on selling any of it, but it would be nice to know anyway)

I've done my best to get pics of serial numbers or any other markings on each piece.

There are a few items I can identify -

- SOS Dive Computer DCP (aka, Bend-O-Matic)

- USD AL Conshelf XIV Regulator set

- USD AL Calypso IV Reg set

I know a bit about the DCP computer. I haven't found any info or other pictures of the neoprene case though.

I've heard many people are still using these particular reg set. Assuming I rebuild them, and they work, is there any reason I would not want to use them?

There are plenty more pictures on my Picasa Page

IMG_1684.jpgIMG_1694.jpgIMG_1697.jpgIMG_1702.JPGIMG_1707.jpgIMG_1731.jpgIMG_1727.jpgIMG_1713.jpgIMG_1735.jpgIMG_1736.jpgIMG_1743.jpgIMG_1747.jpgIMG_1752.jpgIMG_1778.JPG

Hi Sunkmail, others can chip in on more specifics I'm sure but from my perspective...

The bendomatic is a nice collectible for the shelf (I still don't have one) but I wouldn't pay a lot. They come up fairly frequently on ebay. The same with the gauges (the one with the bubble can be fixed). I would do a test dive with a functioning DG to see if they are working - I have one that reads fine right down to 23' and stays that way - but they are fun to wear on a known dive to make your friends say "wha dat?" They are nice to have and play with and definitely worth saving from the trash but not uber vintage perse.

The AL regs are in the twilight zone and not really vintage either but good regs just the same; simple to service and bullet proof. I'm pretty sure Mark (swankenstein) uses the XIV on many of his dives around Victoria.

I have one of those masks, mine is a Kinugawa. They are all copies of the USD Professional line "wrap a round" tri view mask that first appeared in catalogue in 1967 and was still there in 1973. Your rubber is obviously toast but I still keep mine as an example of that design (I have three):
008.jpg

...and have featured it in this recent article I wrote about masks (shameless plug):
The Evolution of the Modern Diving Mask - manfish.ca The adventure of Grassroots Canadian Diving

The stuff you have is so-so. Very common, not much interest, thus little "value". If you want to know what they are worth, go to eBay as these items are listed all the time. Dive the Conshelf, easy to service and a reliable reg. Too bad the stuff isn't of interest to vintage divers or modern ones. Sort of boring. Sorry. Hopefully you didn't pay much for the lot.

Wow!!!!

Dear God!!! I hang my head at my feeble attempts.

That's amazing Mike. Now if you and Adair combine collections.......

Thanks for the info everyone.

DaleC - How would I go about fixing the gauge with the bubble?

I did do a dive with the 'swimaster' gauge - it seems to be off a bit in the shallows, but sorts itself past about 40' or so.

For those curious, I got all that stuff, plus 3 Al 80's for $10. The 80's are going for recycling for $$, so everything else is bonus. (The tanks are NOT divable - Still considering recycling the valves)

I'm curious a bit about the pressure gauge in the pink console - it has a LCD screen, but I can't seem to find any access for any sort of battery, and I don't know what it would display. Any thoughts?
(I haven't taken the hose off yet, but the little access on the bottom is just for pressure info, nothing else under there.)

Back
Top Bottom