What makes a Conshelf 30 different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The French lot didn't make a move until much later and turning US Divers into a poxy scobee doo mask fin and snorkel range. Dont get me started. Iain

Sad but true. When US Divers was relegated to cruise ship / resort tourist status, we lost something special.

Back to the one apparently different mechanical feature… has anyone seen a difference using the large bore hose going to their primary second stage? The advert claimed larger bore meant you could move a larger volume of air. Was this just hype, or is there an advantage (however slight) to the larger bore LP hose? I’ve discovered that I have a Conshelf 1st with the large bore HP port and an extra large bore LP port!?!? Somebody at AL must have been smoking left handed cigarettes that day. 🤪 Or was the extra large LP port for use inflating a dry suit, or some other special purpose?
🐸
Apparently that was the design virtues of the larger hoses. I don’t really think it made much difference to sport diving. It may have been a compliment to operating comp. air tools when commercial diving. AFAIC...more complicated parts needing adapters later when these parts are no longer ‘the standard’.

Having used the Conshelf SE [with 1/2 inch LP hoses] for commercial scuba work, I can confirm that it is one of the driest breathing regulators of all times. Plus it simply can not be over worked, at least not down to 200'. Of all my regulators, the Connie SE is my 'go to' workhorse when I need to guarantee lots of airflow. Definitely not a gimmick.
Now I am getting the ‘lowdown’ …a positive feature on working dives when you need it!!😀

@iain/hsm, first let me thank you profusely for the wealth of information you have provided. I know I will be sifting through, rereading, and absorbing this knowledge for a while!
Second, if my tone sounded too flip or disrespectful, please forgive… I sometimes get a little carried away with some of my comments. No offense intended. I have a long-standing attachment to what is now Aqua Lung here and had US Divers gear before it became the sissified stuff it has now become. My preferred reg rig involves a 1085 box in front and one of the Conshelf series of 1st stages with a single HP and 4 LP ports on my tank behind me.
I’m an aging recreational diver, so that probably makes me enough a dilettante to sometimes stir up irritation among serious divers, but I’m just having fun while I still can… no offense intended.
Anyway, all that said, thanks again to all of you who have contributed so much to my search for information about the elusive Conshelf 30
Green 🐸 Frog
…no offense taken here, ‘froggie’ much like yourself, I want to learn more about the gear I trust and how it is ‘tried and true’ I am glad you have followed the same quest and allowing others to pass along their knowledge. Your Conshelf Quest will be fruitful, I believe. Keep up the good researching. 🤿🙂. g f i t p.🐸.

OK, this thread has filled in the gaps on my information on my beloved Conshelf series. Thinking of my personal use, I’m going to be using one USD 1st with 1 HP and 4 similar LP ports, and one with 1HP, 1 large LP and 3 “standard” LP ports. I will add to these 4 metal type 1085 seconds of various eras (but all having the later, large exhaust valve).

Other than a few variances in length and color for the mid-pressure hoses, they can all be alike except for one unique big bore hose, which will probably be my go to. One reg set to dive, one complete for backup.

I like a wrist mount computer (non AI) so I think I’ll put a basic SPG in a rubber boot on each rig. For casual, warm water, recreational diving by an old man, that should pretty much be all that’s needed.

Again, thanks to all who have participated in this exercise and have been so helpful filling in pieces of my self imposed puzzle.

Green 🐸 Frog

OK, this thread has filled in the gaps on my information on my beloved Conshelf series. Thinking of my personal use, I’m going to be using one USD 1st with 1 HP and 4 similar LP ports, and one with 1HP, 1 large LP and 3 “standard” LP ports. I will add to these 4 metal type 1085 seconds of various eras (but all having the later, large exhaust valve).

Other than a few variances in length and color for the mid-pressure hoses, they can all be alike except for one unique big bore hose, which will probably be my go to. One reg set to dive, one complete for backup.

I like a wrist mount computer (non AI) so I think I’ll put a basic SPG in a rubber boot on each rig. For casual, warm water, recreational diving by an old man, that should pretty much be all that’s needed.

Again, thanks to all who have participated in this exercise and have been so helpful filling in pieces of my self imposed puzzle.

Green 🐸 Frog
Touche’, my friend. I believe you have ‘Your’ ultimate setup that will serve you for many years yet to come.…only suggestion (… may have mentioned this before…) keep a spare, working second stage and both HP & LP hoses in addition to any. ‘O’ rings, straps, fin retainers as well as a couple of dive knife/tools and a tool kit. That should save almost any O W dive or your ‘group’s’ dive. Pleasant adventures my friend…hope to connect up w/you this summer or spring on a trip. Lord willing 👍🦩😀🤿💦🐸
g f i t p

Touche’, my friend. I believe you have ‘Your’ ultimate setup that will serve you for many years yet to come.…only suggestion (… may have mentioned this before…) keep a spare, working second stage and both HP & LP hoses in addition to any. ‘O’ rings, straps, fin retainers as well as a couple of dive knife/tools and a tool kit. That should save almost any O W dive or your ‘group’s’ dive. Pleasant adventures my friend…hope to connect up w/you this summer or spring on a trip. Lord willing 👍🦩😀🤿💦🐸
g f i t p
…spoke to Ray of CBDC in Va Bch… his boss ( dive shop mgr. ) said to pack his stuff and go diving for a week or so. He is leaving this afternoon. …wish I was ready and could go as well. …I am jealous. Bon voyage R M. …

Some basic history about US Divers / Aqualung. I was familiar with the story because I was a dealer for 30 years and was always interested in history. I don't like typing so I did research and found this on Wikipedia. It is pretty accurate, and I never knew the name of René Bussoz, he was always "a guy who owned a fishing tackle sports store in LA". So here is the story. FYI, he sold the rights of the Aqualung brand to Air Liquide in 1957. A name that escapes most people's memory is Émile Gagnan, who with Jacques-Yves Cousteau developed and "co invented" the Aqualung regulator. Gagnan was an engineer that was employed by Air Liquide.

"Aqualung, Aqua-Lung, and Aqua Lung are registered trademarks for scuba diving breathing equipment. That trade name was originally owned in the United States by a company known as U.S. Divers (now Aqua Lung America). The term was in use before the trademark was registered by René Bussoz, who owned a sporting goods store called René Sports in Los Angeles. He obtained a contract with Air Liquide, the parent company of Aqua Lung/La Spirotechnique, to import the new scuba equipment into the United States for sale on the Pacific coast (SPACO Inc. had the contract for the Atlantic coast). Bussoz changed the name of his company to U.S. Divers and registered the name Aqua-Lung. This turned out to be a wise move, because when the French company decided not to renew his five-year contract, no one had even heard of their product, but everyone was familiar with the names he had registered. Bussoz sold the company and the trade names for a handsome profit, returning to France. The name U.S. Divers sounded very official and very American, but it was owned by a Frenchman and sold to a French company.

Air Liquide held the patent on the original "Aqualung" (also written as "Aqua-Lung" or "Aqua Lung") until the patent expired sometime around 1960 to 1963. The term "Aqualung", as far as is known, first appeared in print on page 3 of Jacques-Yves Cousteau's first book, The Silent World, in 1953. Public use of the word "aqualung", and public interest in Aqualungs and scuba diving, were started around 1953 in English-speaking counties by a National Geographical Society Magazine article about Cousteau's underwater archaeological expedition to Grand Congloué. In France, aqualung diving was popularized by Cousteau's movie Épaves, while his book The Silent World also helped significantly."

Taken from Wikepedia.

The intermediate low pressure hose back then was supplied by The Gates Rubber Company
known today as Gates Divers Hose. Originally it was to specification above SAE 100R3 and 1/4" ID bore for the Conshelf range.

Later it was supplied as Gates 33HB Divers Air hose but 3/8 and 1/2" ID

The metal end fittings were proprietary as the internal quill diameter and external hose crimp strength to each specific hose diameter is crucial to avoid leaks and pull offs.

I don't think they supply it anymore but you can still get SAE100R3
However most scuba suppliers have gone over to coloured thermoplastic material and the inferior PVC core tubes with fabric braid style and a replace every 2 years caveat. Iain

The Conshelf 30 (Royal) 1st stage had from memory a 7/16 UNF HP outlet thread from the get go for the submersible pressure gauge. While the Conshelf XIV 1st stage at the time still had the 3/8 UNF thread
Only later did the Conshelf 14 and Conshelf 21 etc go over to the 7/16" HP Thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom