What makes a Conshelf 30 different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the Conshelf 30 first stage is the same or very similar to a Pro Diver
That same observation was made yesterday by a local LDS owner. It really seems the goal at AL was to put together a new combination of existing parts to get a “new” product. About all they really changed was the finish of the 1085 “box top” in black powder coat and a new sticker for the purge button. Everything lease came off of the shelf.
🐸

Back to the one apparently different mechanical feature… has anyone seen a difference using the large bore hose going to their primary second stage? The advert claimed larger bore meant you could move a larger volume of air. Was this just hype, or is there an advantage (however slight) to the larger bore LP hose? I’ve discovered that I have a Conshelf 1st with the large bore HP port and an extra large bore LP port!?!? Somebody at AL must have been smoking left handed cigarettes that day. 🤪 Or was the extra large LP port for use inflating a dry suit, or some other special purpose?
🐸

Green Frog- I have used the Pro Diver and it's not a bad breathing reg. In my opinion, and I'm NOT an engineer, but the old saying "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" applies here. Regardless of weather you have a 3/8 or 1/2 inch hose you/re only going to get the flow that the orifice in the second stage will allow. I believe the 1/2 inch hose was a marketing gimmick

Thanks @Skip Y. That was sorta what I was thinking too. It still has to go through pretty much the same relatively small channels within the second stage. Now I need to find either a big bore hose with the large fitting, or a step down adaptor or fit a plug to that port and use the others. I’d hate to do the latter as that port is exactly where the primary 2nd stage hose needs to com off! 🤨
🐸

I have a couple of "space capsule" 1st stage connies: Royal and Pro Diver marked with JM Costeau on a label or two. I believe that the Conshelf 30 was also a part the space capsule connies. All used the same first stage with the Royal/Pro Diver using similar polymer second stage with a different sticker on the purge button. The Conshelf 30 used a XIV metal second stage with a polymer boxtop with oversized 1/2 LP hoses like the polymer Royal / Pro Diver.

I believe the 1/2 inch hose was a marketing gimmick
Having used the Conshelf SE [with 1/2 inch LP hoses] for commercial scuba work, I can confirm that it is one of the driest breathing regulators of all times. Plus it simply can not be over worked, at least not down to 200'. Of all my regulators, the Connie SE is my 'go to' workhorse when I need to guarantee lots of airflow. Definitely not a gimmick.

Thank you @USdiver1! The reg 1st stage I got (an “orphan” part) was sold to me as a Conshelf SE 2. If I use the large ID hose with 1/2” fitting into the 1st stage, what fitting should I expect on the 2nd stage end? Will it be the standard one to fit my 1085 boxes? Every 2nd stage I’ve ever seen from AL had the same connector on the downstream side.
🐸

PS the “box top” (front part) of the C 30 is not plastic, it’s powder coated brass. AFAIK, this was the only time AL ever did this. It looks cool, though.
🐸

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom