What if DIR Evolved Elsewhere...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the wrecks we document there is just no way to keep a horizontal trim and do this. So, we get heavy, kneel on the bottom, and work in the vertical.

And you think this doesn't happen in DIR diving? First slide we saw in class was a WKPP exploration diver on his knees with the running commentary being about how some of the stuff you hear out there is just ridiculous. You do what you have to do, to get the job done. Whether that's getting vertical, strapping on a rebreather, going sidemount, etc.

Like we've already said Bob, it was much discussed AFAIK, and since a way had to be adopted (in their minds anyway) that was the one decided on.

Not like this is one of those break-the-bank things.

You're a self-proclaimed non-DIR guy anyway, so don't worry about carrying on with this thread. This light-head attachment thing simply isn't worth the attention it's getting.
I only posted because Perrone asked me why I did it that way ... I felt it deserved a response.

And I was interested in why DIR mandates it the other way. As I suspected (based on a couple of responses) it has to do with conditions one would encounter in a cave ... which does get back to the premise of the original post.

I don't, personally, feel that DIR is as inflexible as a lot of folks make it out to be.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And you think this doesn't happen in DIR diving? First slide we saw in class was a WKPP exploration diver on his knees with the running commentary being about how some of the stuff you hear out there is just ridiculous. You do what you have to do, to get the job done. Whether that's getting vertical, strapping on a rebreather, going sidemount, etc.

Just for the record, would "doing what I have to do to get it done" including tying myself to the upline so I can crank the drysuit full of gas on the deco because I am stone-cold.......be DIR?

Cause I really want to do that some days...

Bob: Gotcha my man, and I agree with you. In fact, 'my DIR' is becoming more flexible every day :wink: And I like it.

The biggest thing I have against the whole DIR system is that it is great for getting to somewhere and getting back from it, but to actually do work, not so good.

What part of Unified Team Diving doesn't work for doing work underwater? It seems to me that you've missed the point of the DIR philosophy.

Just for the record, would "doing what I have to do to get it done" including tying myself to the upline so I can crank the drysuit full of gas on the deco because I am stone-cold.......be DIR?

Cause I really want to do that some days...

Is it repeatably safe? I think the pertinent question is why are you stone cold on deco? Maybe you should look into one of those nice drysuit heaters if you've done all you can with thermal insulation. We have two at our shop, and have just ordered another. Seems funny to me in Florida, but hey, what do I know.

I bet if DIR had developed in the Great Lakes they'd not only have a different view of gloves, but of neoprene drysuits. :wink:

I think that if you guys went and read or listened to some of GI3's comments on neoprene drysuits, you would figure out that he was talking about non-compressed neoprene. The argument there would be exactly the same as using thick wetsuits with heavy steel tanks. You need too much weight to get below the surface and once you are at depth, you are too negative.

I don't think anybody is arguing about compressed neoprene drysuits, such as a DUI CF200.

I bet if DIR had developed in the Great Lakes they'd not only have a different view of gloves, but of neoprene drysuits. :wink:

lol, I'm tellin' ya man, you've got a point there that I've been starting to <secretly> believe for a while now.

From what I understand as well, the goodman handle/lighthead clipping hardware arrangement may have wound up being different as well. :wink:

Not sure of the official DIR stance on Weezles, but I just re-deployed my set after a couple years in the plastic tub yesterday because absolutely nothing else was cutting it. The warmest sub 40 degree anywhere in the water column dive I have had in a while.......

Who said gloves aren't DIR?

What part of Unified Team Diving doesn't work for doing work underwater? It seems to me that you've missed the point of the DIR philosophy.
I'm not so sure ... the equipment isn't optimal for working dives. But then, it wasn't intended to be. The only time since I adopted using the long-hose that I felt it wasn't the best choice for the task at hand was when I was helping out at the local underwater park and we were using multiple lift barrels to move large (up to 2,000 lbs) rocks around. During those dives I felt that a wetsuit and short-hose regulator would've worked better. Carrying a light isn't practical, and tucking the hose wasn't always effective ... it got in the way several times.Team protocols were also quite a bit different ... necessarily so because of the different roles the divers are taking to get the job done.

Guess my point is to say that you have to adopt configurations and protocols that work best for what you're doing. In sport diving, DIR works well for just about everything. But when doing work dives it isn't always the best solution ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom