What if DIR Evolved Elsewhere...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't want a dead primary hanging down in a cave hence the tiny bolt snap on the goodman (vs. a longer double ender + loop). Too much opportunity to entangle or stir up silt otherwise. Stow the cord and the lighthead is tight to the chest.

If its hanging down you can also beat it up on the cave...

You did??

I can't help it if I have a long dangly :lotsalove:

Oh yah, how soon we forget.

Use the same end of the double ender to catch both the loop and the D-ring. That's about as snug as you're going to get.

But I don't have a long dangly regardless of how I hang it :(

As for neoprene drysuits, these guys weren't really DIR then.

If you guys want to keep it on the original topic, fine. But the stuff that is completely off from DIR will just get the thread closed.

Are you serious? Deeming someone "not DIR" simply because they choose the best tool for the job seems kind of narrowminded to me. The divers in question are GUE instructors, both holding GUE T2 and C2 certifications. Their dive was 4,5hrs of runtime in 5C/40F (Plura cave pushed - Ocean Discovery technical diving Forum).

To me, opting to use neoprene suits for this particular dive stands as an example of being a thinking diver and adapting to the environment.

Just curious here, but what advantage does having a permanently fixed boltsnap at the rear of the light offer?
It means I can quickly clip off my light so that it's pointing down ... where it'll still be useful ... if I need two hands in a hurry. It means I have the double-ender ... that I normally use with the loop on the goodman handle ... on my right D-ring as a handy "spare" if I need it without having to go fishing for the one that's in my pocket. And it means that the bolt-snap isn't in the way when I have to switch hands.

... at least, that's why I did it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If its hanging down you can also beat it up on the cave...

... well, since there aren't any caves in the PNW, seems to me that an adaptation that allows advantages in local conditions would be more practical ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you guys want to keep it on the original topic, fine. But the stuff that is completely off from DIR will just get the thread closed.
:confused:

But the original topic asked the question ...

b1gcountry:
If DIR evolved in a different environment, what would we now be doing differently? Would there even be any differences? What kind of environment would you see having a different effect?
If we're not able to discuss stuff that would be completely off from DIR ... how would you propose we answer the question?

That seems to me to be the premise of this topic ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, many of my dives have me working with a measure tape, rule, camera, and taking notes all in the very limited vis of Long Island Sound. So I just hang the cord around the back of my neck and let it dangle at about mid chest or a little lower so that I can see what I am doing with my hands. So, it is always around my neck and clipped off on the upper left D-ring.

On the wrecks we document there is just no way to keep a horizontal trim and do this. So, we get heavy, kneel on the bottom, and work in the vertical.

The biggest thing I have against the whole DIR system is that it is great for getting to somewhere and getting back from it, but to actually do work, not so good.

As for the team concept, I think the Navy came up with that a lot earlier then any scuba diver ever did.

If I had a nickel for everytime I heard that DIR doesn't work in New England, sigh...

Like we've already said Bob, it was much discussed AFAIK, and since a way had to be adopted (in their minds anyway) that was the one decided on.

Not like this is one of those break-the-bank things.

You're a self-proclaimed non-DIR guy anyway, so don't worry about carrying on with this thread. This light-head attachment thing simply isn't worth the attention it's getting. If you feel like putting time towards something, I could imagine we'd have our hands full with tidy up our respective agencies for the better.

I do however think Gill's idea of the wrap-around would have never (and didn't) made it past 1998 for obvious DIR reasons :D

Taking notes, dealing with shackles, zip-ties, tools etc is as quick as clipping off at its most difficult. I really don't know how we manage such a complex task.... <snicker>

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom