What if DIR Evolved Elsewhere...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main purpose of DIR diving, IMHO, is the Unified Team Diving aspect of the system. Beyond that there may be slightly different procedures or even equipment if it had evolved in a different environment, but I'm not sure how different it really would be because the current procedures and equipment are so universal to other environments that it really wouldn't need much change.

I actually love both environments, and prefer wrecks to caves, but I like freshwater. :)

Well, we do have these five little freshwater ponds up here with some wrecks in 'em. (But we keep the water really cold to keep all the Florida folks away.)

Tom

Well, we do have these five little freshwater ponds up here with some wrecks in 'em. (But we keep the water really cold to keep all the Florida folks away.)

Tom

The little ploy isn't working. I'll be up there next summer to partake in the pond diving. :)

-P

The OP presumes that DIR grew but is now static, which it is not. It continues to evolve and in places as diverse as Singapore, Plura, Croatia, and the Great Lakes (in addition to NFL caves).

If it didn't evolve initially from caves you might have a permanently affixed boltsnap at the rear of the light...
I do anyway ... leaving a loop on the goodman handle for the double-ender. Just seems more practical to me.

So what's the logic behind the way DIR recommends?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just curious here, but what advantage does having a permanently fixed boltsnap at the rear of the light offer?

It means I don't have to go routing for a double-ender when I want to clip off to the rear..........

Not that I have it that way, I'm just sayin'

As I understand this was a hard-contested question to be answered with many good points on either side, but in the end something I guess had to prevail.

I learned to live with it, as much as I cared to be that compliant.

When I'm shooting the camera I'll go ahead and clip the double-ender to the rear of the light right away before the dive. Seems as if it would be easier for me just to stick a bolt-snap there as I tend to be shooting a lot, but I will say I got tired of the swapping the goodman handle end to keep 'current' :D

Don't talk to me about the pocket contents, I have permanent brain injury from that one,....I have to ask my buddy on just about every dive. :wink:

I do anyway ... leaving a loop on the goodman handle for the double-ender. Just seems more practical to me.

So what's the logic behind the way DIR recommends?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You don't want a dead primary hanging down in a cave hence the tiny bolt snap on the goodman (vs. a longer double ender + loop). Too much opportunity to entangle or stir up silt otherwise. Stow the cord and the lighthead is tight to the chest.

A working primary can be deployed from the rear and hang down on free ascents or while working to give some peripheral illumination. Since its on and you are using it in some capacity the longer double ender + loop attachment is fine in this case.

Having both would be alot of fixed danglies.

Yes my friend, but I told you once how to not have that long-dangly thing when using a double-ender to the loop.

It's actually tighter from g-handle to D-ring than a bolt snap.

Yes my friend, but I told you once how to not have that long-dangly thing when using a double-ender to the loop.

It's actually tighter from g-handle to D-ring than a bolt snap.

You did??

I can't help it if I have a long dangly :lotsalove:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom