Lessons What have you become entangled in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacDuyver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Everyone loves their dive knife (and divers really love arguing about dive knives). What have you become entangled in out in deep blue that’s warranted whipping out your trusty steel to cut yourself free?

Everyone loves their dive knife (and divers really love arguing about dive knives). What have you become entangled in out in deep blue that’s warranted whipping out your trusty steel to cut yourself free?
Loose monofilament fishing line. But that wasn't in the "deep blue", it was in the "shallow green" of Monterey, CA at the Breakwater (San Carlos Beach) dive site. I used my dive knife to cut the line off of my leg, but I also keep a line cutter and serrated shears in my pocket as backups.

Prop shaft + mooring line

Finally a use for a serrated blade

In our "local" (MO and AR) Army Corps of Engineers lakes (e.g., Bull Shoals Lake, Table Rock Lake, etc.), getting snared by fishing line is not unusual whatsoever. Visibility here below the second thermocline is very good. Nevertheless, old fishing line absolutely will reach out and grab your gear!

rx7diver

I have gotten into some rogue fishing nets in Lake Superior and a lattice crane boom in the St Clair River. Your knife isn't good enough to cut through a crane boom.

Back in 1974 when pretty much all diving was solo, I was spear fishing off of Catalina Island and my tank got caught up in the kelp at 30 feet. I was unable to reach it behind me so had to undo my harness and tank so that I could turn around and cut the tank free and then remount everything. Had I panicked I would have died there.
I still relive it every now and then in my dreams, lol.
Todays small knives make carrying one a no brainer.

20230116_141613.jpg
20230116_141648.jpg

I've been entangled in a damn expensive hobby....how about that? 🤪
When the wife finds out what you spent on that new must have item it can be a near death experience!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom