What happens when Suunto Vyper memory gets full?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhom88

Reaction score
I have a new Suunto Vyper (6 dives on it). I was wondering what happens when the logbook reaches its memory capacity. Do individual profiled dives roll-off the logbook FIFO? Does the whole thing reset?

I'm curious because I'm leaving for a six week trip starting in Cozumel and working my way down the Riviera Maya into Belize. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic to think I'll be diving about half the time. That's (21 days) * (2.5 dives / day) * (40 minutes / dive) / (60 minutes / hour) = 35 hours. The manual says the memory capacity is about 36 hours at a 20s sampling rate. I don't want to lose all my profiles if the memory is full. If a lose a couple at the beginning, c'est la vie.

Maybe I'll change my sampling rate to 30s. Any opinions? (Hmmm, dumb question around here... :D)

I'll be sure to get (a) trip report(s) out when I'm back. Enjoy the holidays and have a Happy New Year all!

If you dig around in the manual, you will probably find that it starts dropping off the profiles, FIFO.

If you think you'll be cutting it a bit fine with the number of dives you're going to be doing, cutting the sample rate back to 30 seconds won't really make a huge difference. Its what I would do anyhow.

When the memory is full it drops earliest dive.

example : If there was enough memory for 100 dives (based on scan rate) and 100 is your latest dive. when you dive again
dive 1 is gone and 2 becomes dive 1, the new dive 100, old dive 100 will be 99 etc.

So your olded dive is dumped, and your last 100 are saved.

Mike D

Back
Top Bottom