what happened

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't aware no one is going there. I read it daily.

It does not have nearly the activity that it used to have. I think that many people seek their information at other places, such as this board, where you can discuss Bonaire in addition to other places without having tunnel vision.

When you have a message board that focuses on one place people get very defensive/protective of this place, that is why they are active on that particular board. Unfortunately, on Bonairetalk, this "protection" turned into a lot of bickering and infighting that was unnecessary. Tons of people left. If you take a look at the posts, not many are active, most categories go inactive for weeks or more. The wealth of current information is now here and other places. The people who run the board are not Dutch and don't live on Bonaire and as a result it has devolved into a cheer-leading mechanism for how great the island is. The full objectivity is just not there. Any mention of a negative is quickly muzzled and this drove people from the site.

There are plenty of people from Bonairetalk who post here as well. DiverVince is a heavy contributor to BT.

I'd disagree with it being the moderator's fault.
Personally I haven't been to Bonaire for 10 years, so I read about other destinations.

Well do agree that useage in the site has dwindled but not really sure why. Since the new and improved Bonaire website came live there is a big drop off in postings. again not sure why but don't think the cause has been highlighted yet. personally usually go twice a year so love the place for its easy and abundant diving.

As a longtime BT user, I think this post sums it up very well. BT is underused at best now. There is still a lot of info available there so I take a look most days, quite often there is nothing new posted there of interest to me. I've made about 20 trips to Bonaire since 1986 and was last there in June. We are planning a trip for next year!

It does not have nearly the activity that it used to have. I think that many people seek their information at other places, such as this board, where you can discuss Bonaire in addition to other places without having tunnel vision.

When you have a message board that focuses on one place people get very defensive/protective of this place, that is why they are active on that particular board. Unfortunately, on Bonairetalk, this "protection" turned into a lot of bickering and infighting that was unnecessary. Tons of people left. If you take a look at the posts, not many are active, most categories go inactive for weeks or more. The wealth of current information is now here and other places. The people who run the board are not Dutch and don't live on Bonaire and as a result it has devolved into a cheer-leading mechanism for how great the island is. The full objectivity is just not there. Any mention of a negative is quickly muzzled and this drove people from the site.

There are plenty of people from Bonairetalk who post here as well. DiverVince is a heavy contributor to BT.

---------- Post added August 11th, 2014 at 11:49 AM ----------

What new Bonaire website? Is this the new BT you refer to?

Well do agree that useage in the site has dwindled but not really sure why. Since the new and improved Bonaire website came live there is a big drop off in postings. again not sure why but don't think the cause has been highlighted yet. personally usually go twice a year so love the place for its easy and abundant diving.

jimw
are you sure you're a long time visitor? i think everyone had to re register to use bonaire talk's new website.
its same site but changed underlying software. I remember there was no website for short period of time.
anyway....

Back
Top Bottom