What got you into diving? ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Planet and Planet Earth did it for me

I grew up watching "The Undersea World of JYC", "Sea Hunt" "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"...
Never had the opportunity to do any diving in landlocked Colorado, but on our first trip to Cancun we Rode the Atlantis sub, snorkeled, and went down on the BOBs. Loved it. On our second trip, we did the resort course, 8 OW dives and were completely addicted. This year we'll be back with our own gear (no more rentals!) and are trying to figure out how to spend more time in the water.

I have always been fascinated with the ocean eventhough I did not see the ocean till I was 16. I snorkeled with my brother when he moved to Florida and loved it, tried snuba on a cruise and that was it!

I was Scoutmaster of my sons Boy Scout Troop and was trying to get the older scouts to come up with a High Adventure outing for the summer. I was getting no where so I put them all in a room and told them we were not leaving until they came up with a doable outing. After about an hour of a lot of silence a small voice from the back of the room spoke up, "Mr. Jackson, we would like to go SCUBA Diving." SOLD! Of course being old and worn out by life I did not even think about doing the course with them. But as I was making the arrangements for the outing I decided to at least try it. I figured the worst that could happen is that I would fail the physical or could not pass the waterman ship exam before we went for certification. Needless to say I passed both, Got my OW Certification with my son and have greatly enjoyed diving with all 18 Scouts and Adults we have run through our program over the last four years.:D

After the Just Cause invasion in Panama, we sat around for a few weeks waiting for a bird to transport us back home. The guys that were certified went diving on the Pacific side almost everyday. I said to myself, 'that's never going to happen to me again'. Within 3 days of returning to the States, I had already signed up for my classes.

Sea Hunt. I watched it every week it just looked like so much fun "flying" through the water. We lived 1/2 hour from the ocean and went there often during the summer. At around 5-6 my father bought me a mask a toy really but a treasure to me. By 10 I was peddling my bike daily to the local clear fresh water pond loaded with mask, fins, snorkel, inner tube and rope, towel and lunch. I spent hours fining around that pond solo, free diving to 20 feet. My poor mother would worry about me alone swimming around that pond. In 8th grade my mechanical drawing teacher made the mistake of mentioning he was a diving instructor!!!! I bugged that man everyday for the entire school year to teach me to dive, too young he told me. The next year I had his class again and the harassment continued:wink:. He invited me to a intro to diving at the YMCA where I could TRY A SCUBA TANK!! I didn't sleep that night! I still remember the 1st time I took a breath underwater 3 feet of water!:rofl3: I got certified that year and started diving whenever I could. Didn't drive yet so it was tough to find transportation.
I hooked up with a local dive club and took off!! I dived for 25 years then stopped for a variety reasons. I'm back in the water now after a 15 year lapse but like riding a bike I took back up like I'd never stopped. I do love diving and the ocean.

I was looking for a cheap, easy, risk-free hobby and, obviously, Scuba fit the bill.

Seriously, like others, I have always loved the ocean. As a kid I would watch documentaries about the sea, read magazines, go to scuba shops and check out the gear. Unfortunately, it took me way longer to get certified than it should have...but I did it, I love it, and I consider my decision to start diving to be one of the best choices I have ever made. It doesn't matter what's going on in life; if I spend a couple of hours underwater, the world becomes a better place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom