What got you into diving? ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the old TV shows and such, but it took a Boy Scout adult high adventure training course (Powerhorn) to get me to actually try it. Until then I figured I would freak out under water and panic breathe. After the pool experience, I went home and advised the family "I'm learning to dive, anyone want to join me?". Both kids did, and my son and I dive frequently.

My family went island hopping back then when i was about 16 or 17 and in between trips the staff would invite us to scuba dive in some special spots. My dad accepted the offer and he got really into it. So I got curious and went with him on one of his trips underwater and I kinda loved the experience. So I kinda got into it after.

when I was 12 or so My mom and I sat on shore while her fiancé and his mate went shore diving. There is a pier still at that site where many people go to throw crab pots. During their surface interval we discussed that most of the crabbers were not throwing any crab back except for one geriatric couple who had not kept more than one or two. On the second dive My step father and his friend raided all the traps of their crab and bait both. They tossed all the illegal females and juveniles and put the legals into the trap belonging to the old couple. After exiting the water, de-kitting and watching the Pier, we saw one after another of the crabbers pull their empty pots. After maybe 8 or 10, the old couple tried pulling theirs. It was absolutely hilarious. It took two people to get it over the rail; it was stuffed (with the keepers from 20 traps... an entire dive worth of fun) beyond full. There is no natural way that many crab could have gotten into that trap, and there were none in ANY of the traps of the people we witnessed keeping illegal crabs.

You should have seen the looks on all their faces: NOBODY could figure it out and NOBODY even remotely considered the SCUBA divers that came out of the water 100' away from the pier on the beach.

That was my turning point. Since that day I wanted to go under water. It only took another 15 years before indulging myself...

My dad got me into diving. As I was growing up he went diving all the time. I was old enough to ask lots of questions to him about his gear and stuff. Eventually he had me washing gear, storing it, and doing all his gear prep before his trips. I loved it cause I was able to look at all this gear, at the time, I thought it was great. I now realize that I was doing all the hard work for him, but anyway at the time I loved it. Then when I was 18 I saved up my money, took an OW course and started diving. My dad helped out and bought me some of my gear. then the two of us were able to be dive buddies. Now my bro is into diving so the two of us are dive buddies.

I was going to Kauai with my wife on our 25th anv and bought Snorkeling gear at a local dive shop. Then I saw the Scuba classes offered on the board and thought "that could be cool". Got OW certified, did dives in HI and then did a bunch of classes/dives back in Seattle. Love the cold water...

I was on vacation in Cancun and Cozumel with my gf (now wife). I knew I wanted to be with her always, and she loved the sunny vacations. I on the other hand, was not a fan of the sun.
After a week in Cancun we went to Coz. By this time, I was bored of the beach and wanted to find an activity that we'd both enjoy and that I could do on (hopefully) future vacations together.
Scuba was not even on my mind, but walking down the beach one day we came across a dive shop with a huge Canadian flag painted on the roof. We met the owners, a great couple from either Calgary or somewhere on the Praries, and it didn't take much to get them to talk us into signing up for an OW course. Our classroom was on the beach (in the shade for me) and all our training done in the ocean. It was beautiful. After a number of years off, we are back into it and loving it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom