What got you into diving? ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karel26

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So what got you into diving or how did diving cross your path? ?

I was always facinated in the ocean since i was a littel todler. .
I bought my first ever mask when i was about 6 or 7 when we
went on vacation and got to the beach i rushed of tothe ocean
putting my mask on and dunking my head underwater trying to
figure out what was underwater. .

Then 2003 i bought my first scuba diving magazine called Divestyle,
I went through it and saw alot of great things of diving and knew
it was for me. . So eventually i went and did my OW in 2003. . Today
I am a AOW diver and proud of it, never regretting my choice to start
my diving. .

My life mission is to become a good and safe diver and to
become a instructor to show other people what my God created underwater. .

Live to diveand dive to live. . . . :burnout:

I plan my vacation spend in warm countries such as Egypt, Turkey or Spain and think that just lay on the sun and swim in sea is not very interesting for me. So i plan something to do in this time. I choosediving.

call my local Dive Center and start education in PADI. I'd made it 'cause i thought that it might be problems with rent a equipment in other countries.

After starting course i understand that diving is very interesting, so i start buying equipment...
Now i'm PADI OWD with aprox. 50 dives. I do not plan get AOWD but plan AdvWreck certification in TDI

I learned to swim with a mask at about 3-4 years old, my father was a diver and would walk out of the ocean after we had been at the beach for an hour, I remember thinking that was cool, I got certified in 1982 by Naui cause that is what was available. I dive because it is peaceful and I can relax and I love the water and most of the things in it.

We moved from Manitoba to the N.S. coast, so it made sense. Being a shell collector, scuba puts me in a whole new place. This is why I got certified originally. Since, I've found diving in itself to be it's own reward.

As a little kid I loved books that had to do with the ocean; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Moby Dick were my favorites. I was way into the Titanic a long, long time before the movie was even thought of. In 1984, when I was in the 4th grade, my father brought me to his Rotary Club meeting where the guest speaker gave a talk about his dives on the Andrea Doria. Looking at his underwater slides and holding the plate that he had brought back from the wreck, I knew I'd dive someday; 15 years later, I was right.

Watching divers on t.v. diving tropical coral reefs had a lot to do with it. Books and t.v. programs contribute to the impression that there's a staggering diversity of beautiful (in various ways) and intriguing creatures and forms in the oceans. This all contributes to a 'Gee, I'd like to do that' response.

When I was dating my now-wife, and a friend of ours was also doing things with us, I had 2 close people to cultivate an interest with and perhaps follow through.

I got on the Internet & researched the topic a bit. I'd figured living in southwestern KY it wouldn't be practical to travel way out to the coast to get trained, and that aside from maybe one honeymoon cruise and perhaps some future cruise years down the road, I'd hardly get good value for the investment.

Turns out training is locally available from a number of sources, there are abandoned rock quarries flooded & turned commercial scuba sites to dive in to keep in practice and develop skills if needed, Caribbean trips aren't as badly expensive as I feared, and a trip for 3 down to Bonaire for a week is actually pretty affordable and a lot of convenient, fun shore diving can be crammed in.

I suppose all that's what got me into recreational scuba diving.

Richard.

Mike & Jacques. Need I say more?

What Fisheater said plus living on the Atlantic coast of Florida when I was very young (5-7 years old) and spending most of my days at the beach.

I got drunk at a charity auction and bought a trip to Australia.

My long-suffering husband looked at me in the car on the way home and said, "Well (sigh), if we are going to go to Australia, now you HAVE to learn how to dive."

I certainly had no idea that five years later, it would be the defining center of my world :)

I got certified because I looked up to my older brother, who went through scuba school while in the Special Forces. I went skydiving on my 16th birthday for the same reason. Now, twenty years later, I am active diver and he's not, and neither of us jump out of airplanes any more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom