What got you into diving? ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My ex-wife made me do it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We snorkelled at the Frankland Islands off Cairns and at the Whitsundays, but being extremely buoyant I can't get down and stay down to see much even with a weight belt! After a discover scuba session at the Gold Coast, we were hooked. Came home to Melbourne, signed up for the OW course, paid for all gear up front, and then hoped it would all go okay!

Its the best thing we have ever done. We have 76 dives in 14 months, have made a lot of new friends, have yet another expensive hobby that we share. It doesn't get much better.

Even at places we have dived heaps of times, we still get out saying did you see ....?? There are so many amazing things to see, we are so lucky to be able to enjoy a whole other world that those who don't dive could never imagine

Wish there were more ladies thinking like scuba31. . :rofl3:

Live to dive and dive to live. . . . :burnout:

Are any of you old enough to remember "Sea Hunt"? That started a life long journey of diving and traveling the world having dived most of the great global locations (except Antartica) and have made lots of friends around the world. Diving is addictive and i am happy to be addicted.

So what got you into diving or how did diving cross your path? ?

I was always facinated in the ocean since i was a littel todler. .
I bought my first ever mask when i was about 6 or 7 when we
went on vacation and got to the beach i rushed of tothe ocean
putting my mask on and dunking my head underwater trying to
figure out what was underwater. .

Then 2003 i bought my first scuba diving magazine called Divestyle,
I went through it and saw alot of great things of diving and knew
it was for me. . So eventually i went and did my OW in 2003. . Today
I am a AOW diver and proud of it, never regretting my choice to start
my diving. .

My life mission is to become a good and safe diver and to
become a instructor to show other people what my God created underwater. .

Live to diveand dive to live. . . . :burnout:

Divorce therapy

To pick up chicks.

and how did that work out for you? HAHA

So I see after going through the thread that someone beat me to it, sorry!

Last edited:
Been thinking about going diving, for many years, but never found the time. Finally was in Philippines on business, had half a day spare, did my Discover Scuba. Hooked! Came back, signed up for a course. Done 30 dives in two months now, doing my deep+nitrox early next year. Woop!

I too watched "Sea Hunt" as a child. We lived in the mid-west, no pool at home deeper than your shins and no city or county pools at that time. So I did not even know how to swim. Unfortunately, I nearly drowned twice; once while fishing at a local lake with my grandfather and a second time when I was in my very first city pool. I slipped into the deep end of the pool and could not get to the surface. Thank goodness the lifeguard saw me and resuscitated me back to the world of the living. As one might expect, I developed a strong fear of water. I would not get my face in it even in a bathtub.

Later, I got into the Boy Scouts and the only thing keeping me from being an Eagle scout was my Swimming and Lifesaving merit badges. It took me over a year to learn to swim and I hated every minute of it. So how did this water-phobe ever get into diving?

I guess it was from a variety of sources..."Sea Hunt", Jacques C. and the deeper urge to get over my fear of the water. I wanted to get into a dive class in college but they were always full and I could not do some of the skills required like treading water for 15 minutes...I sink like a stone so treading water is very hard for me. So I gave up on it for a while.

Later, I joined a local Volunteer Fire and Rescue squad. I did a lot of rescue work but the only thing this squad did with water was to drag for bodies. After a few years I moved to another state and to a much smaller town. I joined their squad and soon after the Sheriff decided he wanted some of us to become Search and Recovery divers. I saw this as a chance to learn to dive. The county found an instructor that formulated a special class just for us which ended up being a combination of OW, AOW, Search and Recovery and Rescue all rolled together.

Did not do much diving with the squad as we lived in a swamp in NC so no local diving spots. I moved again to a Caribbean island and finally got to use my diving skills for a few years. Longer story..shorter...I moved several more times and diving went out the window for over 25 years. I am getting back into it slowly and trying to adjust to new equipment, different rules and a much older broken down body.

I hope to continue for many more years to come.

I wasn't going to spend my life sitting on the couch watching TV whilst everyone else was living theirs. As soon as the finances allowed it, I jumped in....Also got my PPL Aug of 08, loving it !:)

Back
Top Bottom