What do you use for a gear mat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the Hog gear mat for $10. Probably not worth it over a tarp, but I felt like shelling out for it. It's normally $40 too, so $10 was a good deal. I know Divers-supply sells them, as does DRIS (I think it's less at DRIS).

Anyway, it dries very quickly, keeps the dirt and sand off your suit, and packs down easily. However, I find it is almost a pain to get out a mat. I'd rather lean out of the car as I don. When removing stuff it is more useful.

I use a free tarp from Harbor Freight. Got a few of them lying around and when they get holed, I toss them. Otherwise a hose cleans them up.

I like canvas. It sheds the stuff that invariabley gets on it and is a great surface. You only have to remember to shke it off and make sure it's dry before packing it for the next dive.

I use a DAN rolling mat. Got it "free" with the DAN insurance I was going to buy anyway.

If I need a large area, I use a tarp.

I have a DRiS one, a Hog one, and one from NSS-CDS, they're all the same, and all work better than tarps because the water doesn't pool and they shake out quite easily. They roll up quick, I actually leave one of them in my Jeep all the time in case I ever have to get under it in less than pleasant conditions, it's nice to keep the dirt off.

Someone gave me a cheap yoga mat recently. I didn't know what I was going to use it for... I don't do yoga. Now I take it on my shore dives and it is perfect. It's a closed cell foam, about 1/8" thick, so it has some cushion to it and a non-slippery texture on the surface. I can hose it off if necessary. It's narrow, 24" wide and 68" long, but that's all I need. Great to lie on for my SI. Rolls up nice and tight and packable. Now my buddy wants one...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom