What do you treat your drysuit zipper with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King Kong Matt

Contributor
Reaction score
Couldn't find a definitive answer in the archives and do NOT want to start a poll. So, informally, what do we think is the best for treating a drysuit zipper?

My suit came with McNett Zip Care. It works, but its a liquid lubricant, so working with it can be messy. I see others use what appear to be wax sticks and they seem to like them...

What do you use and arguments for and against.

-kkm

I had the same concern so i emailed YKK zipper directly.They sent me free of charge a kit containing a bottle of zippycool cleaning and lubricating fluid(has a brush on the top of the bottle) for use on the inner part of the zipper and outer part if it needed cleaning and a wax style lubricating stick for use on the outside of the zipper only.I have seen McNett sell the same kits in scuba shops.

..uhh..that's it..

The Mc Nett stuff with the brush is supposed to be OK for cleaning the zipper, but I found that it didn't do a good job for lubing the zipper. generic parafin wax works good but is a little messy, the MaxWax has worked best for me. Just make sure you use it regularly.

The tech guy at my LDS recommended the liquid zipper care which for some reason they can't get anymore as he found one application was much longer lasting than the wax sticks. I have only used the wax sticks myself and find them to be a major PITA. It starts getting tempting to find other alternatives...hmm how does this PAM cooking spray work? I like the idea of e-mailing YKK though, sound like a good demo program.

What did they charge you Lal7176?

1) Peel back paper - Expose end of stick

2) Rub on Zipper

3) Curse that I didn't peel enough paper back to get the job done

4) Clean out wax schrapnel and paper flecks from under finger nail

5) Curse some more when I jump the groove in the stick and snap off the top

6) Curse even more when I break the stick trying to start a new groove

7) Open and close zipper to assure even application.

8) Admire my handiwork, and the newfound ease with which the zipper moves

9) Store with zipper open

10) Toss semi-papered poorly grooved wax stub into dry box with the other 6 stubs

K

bwerb once bubbled...
I like the idea of e-mailing YKK though, sound like a good demo program.What did they charge you Lal7176?

They sent it to me free of charge :D They were extremely nice and helpful and answered my email promptly.Kinda rare for a large company now a days.

I have seen the same kits by McNett in the scuba shops for around 10 bucks.

lal7176 once bubbled...

They sent it to me free of charge :D

Thank-you for the info.

bwerb once bubbled...

Thank-you for the info.

If that doesn't work out for you, or you don't feel like dealing with YKK, PM me your chit...

My LDS has an entire wall full of the McNett stuff.

-matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom