what do YOU do with your car keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the rare event that I'm in a wetsuit instead of my drysuit I have a older Sealife Camera housing that I keep my keys in. Hasn't flooded yet, but I keep the keys in a ziplock style bag in that as a backup. I think I paid $15 for it and I keep a little lead in it to make it neutrally buoyant. GoPro cases work too, but depending on the key size they don't always fit (my Subaru key is too long), and although I've never flooded one I've heard of several people flooding theirs. Other things I've seen used: dead Sola light, PVC pipe capped off with a screw top and an o-ring, and those dive rated phone case housings.

Some additional frustrations: My car has traditional key holes, but they are hidden under the handle in a little secret covered hole that is not convenient or easy to access. I don't think I can lock the key fob in the car. The car won't let me.

Maybe a radio frequency blocking bag? I know started people started to sell them after thieves used repeaters to steal keyless ignition cars.

That way you can lock the keyfob in the car.

A couple years ago, I was completely lost after picking up a rental Audi at Berlin airport. I just wasn't able to start the friggin' car and was at a loss finding out how. And the user manual was in German, which I've had exactly one year of during high school. After some serious messing about, I found out that the key fob should be inserted into a hole in the dashboard which, frankly, wasn't PG-13 rated. Given the standards on this board, I won't say what it reminded me of. But it was a hole with some not-so-subtle rubber flaps around it. Into which I was supposed to insert the fob. And push it to start the engine.

I was thoroughly impressed. In a very non-PG-13 way.
Yeah, right on. We just got a 2018 Buick Encore last week. You start and stop the motor with a button on the dash. You unlock the door it by pushing a button on the door, but you must have the key in your pocket. Then, key in pocket, you walk away and the car locks itself--beep. Are we really getting too far ahead with this stuff? Now, I'm glad my "dive" car is our "old" 2016 van. If I had to use the new car, how would I do my "bury the key under a rock near the car" method...?
Maybe the auto voice would say "hey, you left your chip key under some stone shaped like a big flat heart".

My method has not come up yet, so I'm going to pass on publishing a description.

Bob

Yeah, right on. We just got a 2018 Buick Encore last week. You start and stop the motor with a button on the dash. You unlock the door it by pushing a button on the door, but you must have the key in your pocket. Then, key in pocket, you walk away and the car locks itself--beep. Are we really getting too far ahead with this stuff? Now, I'm glad my "dive" car is our "old" 2016 van. If I had to use the new car, how would I do my "bury the key under a rock near the car" method...?
Maybe the auto voice would say "hey, you left your chip key under some stone shaped like a big flat heart".

Key on lanyard around neck, inside the drysuit. (Which I assume you wear being in Canada. :) ) You can lock or unlock the car no problems at all even with the drysuit fully sealed.

I usually put my keys on the front bumper, behind the licence plate. Out of sight, and another place someone would probably not look. On my previous vehicle, a Chev Colorado, I could hang them on a spring, behind the tire, and well out of sight.

Divegoose

What car do you have now? When do you dive? Where's your favorite site?

A Toyota Prius has a mechanical key hidden in the fob that many people may not know about. You usually can't lock the fob in the car, but with the mechanical key, you can (no Faraday cage needed).

For our Subaru Outback, we did what several people suggested, got a mechanical copy made. After a dive, just before I open door, I yell "Please ignore the car alarm". It goes off about 7 seconds before I can turn it off.

What car do you have now? When do you dive? Where's your favorite site?

I have a Toyota Tacoma. Dive locally as often as possible. Favorite sites are Santa Rosa Wall and Columbia Deep in Cozumel !! :wink:

Divegoose

Back
Top Bottom