what do YOU do with your car keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If in the US, drive a stick shift and leave nothing in the car...put your vehicle documents in a ziplock bag and then put them in the trunk with the spare wheel...then you wont need to lock it.

-Z
:p

I have one of those fobs with a metal key inside; the key unlocks the door but you need the fob in proximity to start the car. I bought a little faraday cage pouch to allow me to lock the fob inside the car and take the key with me.

Prior to my current car, I had a key cut (with no electronics) which went with me on a dive around my neck(wet or dry).

New car has keyless entry and wont allow the key to be locked in the car. Could get another "dead" key but the new car only has hidden locks (you need to remove a physical cover to access it). Tried a Mares egg but it leaked almost on contact with water.

Might just buy a cheap Go Pro or Faux Pro waterproof case, do a test dive with it and use that in future (fixed to the d-ring inside of my drysuit leg pocket).

Inside a freezer bag and then in a pocket on the inside of my drysuit. I can even press the buttons from the outside and can lock/unlock the car while suited up.
The freezer bag is in case I flood my suit but not really necessary.

I take a sheet of paper and magic marker and make a sign that says.....
"Wallet and keys inside...DO NOT TOUCH"

And then I tape it to the window of the car next to mine...
that keeps the thieves busy for a long time. :)

My prius has a metal key that pops out of the fob, like this. I put the metal key onto one of the bolt snaps attached to my backplate harness (a bolt snap that I never need to remove during a dive). The electronic fob goes in my glove box.

I either put the key fob into a ziplock bag and hide it under a rock close to where I park my car, or I lock the fob into my car using the mechanical key, and then hang the mechanical key on a lanyard around my neck inside my drysuit.

But mostly I prefer having someone on the surface counting bubbles and give them the key. Or I give the key to the dive leader if it's an organised club dive.

I have seen people use the trailer hitch receiver on their vehicle. When the hitch bar is not attached, there is usually a rubber or some other type of cover over the receiver. Pop cover off, put key in, and pop cover back on. Unless someone saw you put the key in the hitch receiver, they probably wouldn't look there.

I usually put my keys on the front bumper, behind the licence plate. Out of sight, and another place someone would probably not look. On my previous vehicle, a Chev Colorado, I could hang them on a spring, behind the tire, and well out of sight.

Divegoose
Funny I used to do all this stuff with my 1980 Honda Civic's metal spare key. Hung on wires in various places. Hard to do that with costly electronic keys. That wasn't to hide it per se, but in case I locked my original key in the car. Those were the days. I wish I were a diver back then so I could take my metal key into water. Now you need the spare with you because if you actually lose the chip key (not lock it inside), you can't drive the car at all.
I just HAD to google fob. Jesus....really? Hey, maybe I have one--our cars are 2016 & 2018. Has anyone ever paid attention to a car alarm sounding anyway? Ah, the good old days.

maybe I have one--our cars are 2016 & 2018
A couple years ago, I was completely lost after picking up a rental Audi at Berlin airport. I just wasn't able to start the friggin' car and was at a loss finding out how. And the user manual was in German, which I've had exactly one year of during high school. After some serious messing about, I found out that the key fob should be inserted into a hole in the dashboard which, frankly, wasn't PG-13 rated. Given the standards on this board, I won't say what it reminded me of. But it was a hole with some not-so-subtle rubber flaps around it. Into which I was supposed to insert the fob. And push it to start the engine.

I was thoroughly impressed. In a very non-PG-13 way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom