What do you carry in your BCD pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herk_Man, That is a good idea, I will have to do that for further presents.

I clicked on the wrong button, sorry!

Last edited:
I carry a small knife,an old CD, & a white 30 gallon garbage bag---the latter 2 for surface signaling (just in case)........

I carry:
1. Small waterproof (5ft) VHF radio in a otter box
2. Mirror in pocket
3. Knife on my hose
4. Shears on BCD
5. 3 ft nylon leash in pocket
6. snorkel in pocket
7. sausage with 100' spool on BCD
8. air alert H20 & water
9. slate in pocket

-Snorkle (it folds up 'cause I HATE that thing dangling from my mask)
-CPR mask
-Extra dive slate
-Mini dive light

Everything else like my kife, mirror (on my DAN tag), whistle and safety sausage are clipped onto various D-rings.

BCD pocket:
rolled up snorkel
back up light

dry suit pocket:
spare mask
back up depth gauge

My lift bag or signal tube is usually in a sleeve attached to my back plate, and I have a reel clipped off on a D ring

What is a safety sausage? Is that extra food for the fish in case you run out?

Why would you carry an "extra" slate? I dont understand some of the stuff I see being carried. Its like someone sprayed glue on a poor diver and rolled them through a dive shop.

What is a safety sausage? Is that extra food for the fish in case you run out?

Why would you carry an "extra" slate? I dont understand some of the stuff I see being carried. Its like someone sprayed glue on a poor diver and rolled them through a dive shop.

A safety sausage is the same thing as a signal tube. Something you can inflate to help a boat see you if you surface away from it. You can also use it as a lift bag in a pinch.

Thigh pockets on my drysuit:

Car key
Analog depth gauge
Dive table
Rescue slate with local emergency numbers (for beach/boat use, not in water)
DSMB & 100' spool (for boat dives and shore dives well out)
Spare mask (ditto)
Light (for day dives where I'm unlikely to need it, otherwise clipped to shoulder D-ring)
Laminated 5" x 7" Dive site map if applicable (I do a lot of compass nav dives)

I should add a mirror, and maybe a rescue mask. For boat dives well offshore, I'd also add a strobe and/or flares/rockets/smoke marker/dye marker/EPIRB as budget allows. DCBC's water and energy gels would also be a good idea, although I expect my survival time in my drysuit locally wouldn't be anywhere near 48 hours, at least with my current undergarment.

A whistle is tied with bungee to my left shoulder D-ring, shears are on my waist belt. If I'm going to be around a lot of monofilament or rope, I may carry a backup knife in addition to the shears.

Guy

Spare slates are handy if a) you fill your main one b) someone doesn't have one and needs one c) if yours gets lost somehow. It's always good to be a prepared diver with extra stuff 'cause you never know when you or someone else may have a d'oh! moment.

I always carry more stuff than I need because it's nice to know that I have it "just in case". I tend to be a "worst case scenario" diver. Better to have and not need than the other way around. I wear a weight belt and don't use integrated weights, which means that I have more room in BCD pockets than some...

Dry suit pockets:
light
knife
mask

BCD pockets:
light
knife
slate
extra weight (for those who think that the laws of physics don't apply to them or that they have to impress me with how little weight they require)

Clipped to BCD:
light
knife (are you noticing a reoccurring motif?)
SMB
finger spool
Dive Alert

Extra weights used more often than all of the other stuff combined...

Back
Top Bottom