What do you buy first when you do not have any gear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReelDuel,

1) Mask - Atomic Shadow Frameless - it must be a decent fit for you of course.
Neoprene slap strap to make it easier to put on/off

2) Fins - ScubaPro JetFins - a good all rounder

3) Snorkel - for snorkelling only - one that you feel comfortable with.

4) A good fitting wetsuit

5) BC - Aluminium Backplate and Wing (Talk to CoolHardware on this site about these) - the main advantage here is that you can futureproof your own diving without having to buy a new BC - for example if you wanted to use doubles in the future you'd only need to buy a wing. While you may only be thinking of relatively easy dives right now you might find the nature of your diving changes as you gain more experience.

6) Regs - Apeks XTX50s DIN second stages a) Main reg on a 7 foot long hose and b) a bungeed backup (octopus) with a DS4. This gives you regs which will work well for any water temperature
and will breathe nicely at depth.
I know yoke is popular in the US but you can get a Yoke adapter or if I'm not mistaken you can have the inserts removed from the tank (I assume this is the case in the US?) A brass or stainless steel depth gauge with your regs

7) Uwatec Depth timer - it's cheaper than a computer - use dive tables to build some knowledge on the No Deco limits. If at some stage you want a computer a Suunto Vyper (can be used with Nitrox) would be good and you can still use your D timer as a backup.

This rig might sound complicated because I'm rushing this post but Florida has many divers using this kind of rig and I'm sure you'd be able to find someone to help you set it up.

If this rig sounds interesting to you, do some searches on BP/W and long hose and you'll get a lot more information about the whys or alternatively go to

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers for a better description.

I hope this gets you curious !

I reccomend doing as little renting as possible because renting is expensive. It adds up, and you will dive less. Also during peak season, at least in my area, you have to plan ahead, because all the rental gear will be checked out or reserved if you don't.

I see people constantly recommending that you try renting several different BC's before you choose which one you like. Where I live, that would be impossible. Rental gear is you take what they give you. Most shops only have one brand of BC in their rental fleet. You'll have to go to several shops and try what they have. Seems like a PITA to me. OTOH if you go into a shop with the clear intention of making a purchase, the better shops will let you demo gear in their pool to see if you like it. If you can afford it I would buy all the essential gear right away. I would buy high quality stuff that won't need to be replaced.

ReelDuel,

1) Mask - Atomic Shadow Frameless - it must be a decent fit for you of course.
Neoprene slap strap to make it easier to put on/off

2) Fins - ScubaPro JetFins - a good all rounder

3) Snorkel - for snorkelling only - one that you feel comfortable with.

4) A good fitting wetsuit

5) BC - Aluminium Backplate and Wing (Talk to CoolHardware on this site about these) - the main advantage here is that you can futureproof your own diving without having to buy a new BC - for example if you wanted to use doubles in the future you'd only need to buy a wing and while you may only be thinking of easy dives right you might find the nature of your diving changes as you progress.

6) Regs - Apeks XTX50s DIN second stages a) Main reg on a 7 foot long hose and b) a bungeed backup (octopus) with a DS4. This gives you regs which will work well for any water temperature
and will breathe nicely at depth.
I know yoke is popular in the US but you can get a Yoke adapter or if I'm not mistaken you can have the inserts removed from the tank (I assume this is the case in the US?) A brass or stainless steel depth gauge with your regs

7) Uwatec Depth timer - it's cheaper than a computer - use dive tables to build some knowledge on the No Deco limits. If at some stage you want a computer a Suunto Vyper (can be used with Nitrox) would be good and you can still use your D timer as a backup.

This rig might sound complicated because I'm rushing this post but Florida has many divers using this kind of rig and I'm sure you'd be able to find someone to help you set it up.

If this rig sounds interesting to you, do some searches on BP/W and long hose and you'll get a lot more information about the whys or alternatively go to

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers for a better description.

I hope this gets you curious !

Great suggestions. This is almost exactly the rig I use for warm water. Only difference is OMS slipstreams instead of jets. I prefer them because they are neutrally buoyant instead of negative. Helps if a strap ever brakes in the water. This happened to me in thailand in a swift current as I was getting on the boat at the end of the dive. If it was a jetfin, it would be at the bottom of the Andamen sea.

Wetsuit first. Rent the rest until unhappy doing so. Keep records of the brands/items you rent and their pros/cons. Meanwhile, save your pennies. When it is time to buy (if ever) look closely into sets of gear (computer/BCD/regs), getting price quotes for all three at once. Get price quotes from multiple shops (LDSs or online). Bargain one against the other. Ask questions. Read on ScubaBoard all the pros/cons about buying locally or via internet. Get your best deal having tried out the equip in advance, if at all possible. Paying cash has certain advantages. Your LDS will probablly work with you and make alternate suggestions about gear choices. Weigh them carefully. Are they really in your best interest? Is the money burning a hole in your pocket? Why are you buying? Will the cost of purchasing interfere with going diving? Buy when it feels like the right thing to do in order to suit your short and medium term diving goals. Don't buy just to empty your wallet and get some neat stuff. Save that for later.

I'd like to piggyback on this thread since I have an issue related to the OP. After a lot of research on this forum and beyond, I've pretty much have an idea of what I want to try/buy.

Aside from the basics, looks like the wetsuit (Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene 3mm) come first. Now the next purchase, should it be the regulator or the BC? There seems to be differing opinions. Perhaps its similar to age old dilemma of what came first the chicken or the egg?

As for the reg, I'm leaning toward the Atomic ST1 and as for the BC, I'm favoring the Zeagle Brigade/Ranger. As for a secondary, I'd like to get a reg/inflator combo.

Lastly, I've read a lot of positive reviews on the Oceanic VT3 computer.

As you can see, this won't be chump change. So, if I decide to stick with this, it will take a couple to a few years (while renting) to accumulate.

TIA
:14:

I recommend buying as much as you can, as quickly as you can, because having your own gear makes going diving so much easier. Rentals add up quickly; for example, at the fee my original LDS charges for renting a dry suit, my dry suit was paid for in 15 dives. And because it was sunk cost, I didn't have the "ouch" factor of having to cough up the money. Renting everything would have cost me over $100 a day, and I wouldn't have been likely to dive much.

Exposure protection, as everybody else has said, is an important one because whether you are diving wet or dry, fit determines whether you'll be comfortable, and sometimes even whether you'll be safe.

Regulators are nice to buy for yourself, because you can get regs that breathe extremely well at a middle-of-the-road price, and they'll make diving more pleasant.

I'm always conflicted about BCs. It's a good IDEA to rent or borrow stuff until you know what you like, but it isn't always easy to find a variety of gear to try, depending on where you live. This is one place where you may just have to realize that you may change your mind and rebuy, sometimes in short order. I think it's hard at the beginning to know where this diving this may take you -- I had no ambitions at all when I started, beyond floating around in the tropics and looking at fish, and three years later, I've done a helium class and two cave classes. So your goals may change, and your gear may have to change with you.

ReelDuel:
I have read that you should get your BC first then make sure the Reg etc fits your BC. I am ready to take the plunge and purchase gear for the wife and I soon. But heck people it is so difficult to figure out.
snowballz:
Aside from the basics, looks like the wetsuit (Pinnacle Merino-Elastiprene 3mm) come first. Now the next purchase, should it be the regulator or the BC? There seems to be differing opinions. Perhaps its similar to age old dilemma of what came first the chicken or the egg?
It is a chicken-egg issue in many ways, and there are differing opinions. There are arguments in favor of the reg first (e.g., nothing worse than a nasty rental reg, it is ‘life support’, etc.) and others in favor of a BC first (it is a personal fit item, therefore harder to rent one that suits you, etc.). Frankly, I agree with Lynne, to buy as much as you can as soon as you can. The goal is to be able to go diving when you want, with a minimum of hassle having to rent gear. The more you dive, the more you come to understand what you prefer in gear. Whatever you buy, it will not be perfect. Ideally, it will be functional, and at least adequate for YOUR diving. Personally, I also endorse the ‘good wetsuit early' idea.
ReelDuel:
I want to get what I need the first time to avoid having to purchase replacement items that would sit in the shop next to the fishing rod and reels that didn't cut the mustard.
This may still happen. Preferences change. Don’t worry about it. If you buy good equipment to begin with you can probably sell it later on eBay – not for anything near the original price but for enough to feel comfortable. BTW, dbulmer has offered some good ideas to think about as well (DIN rather than yoke regs,, BP/W rather than ‘standard BC, depth timer rather than computer). I may have a slightly different opinion on a particular brand (Suunto vs Uwatec), or model (XTX 100 vs XTX50), or material (steel BP vs AL), but that is minor compared to the very good food for thought being offered.

I decided to get a regulator first. Along with the reg will be the octo. I would also eventually like to get the Oceanic VT3. Since I am not getting the VT3 yet, I assume that I will need to but a SPG with the reg and octo. Is that correct?

Thanks again.
:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom