What do I need? GoPro ADVICE please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THRASH

Contributor
Reaction score
I am considering buying a GoPro Hero 4 Silver in the next few days. I have an upcoming dive trip to Jupiter in Florida and would like to have it for the trip late next week so I need to get on it.

I will mainly be diving Florida and then a couple of yearly trips to tropical destinations like Turks and Caicos, Cozumel...places like that too.

What accessories do I need, what are recommended, filters, extra batteries, chargers, mounting stick, all that good stuff. At this point I need some GoPro education, advice, and guidance. I don't take like to cut corners and want to complete my setup right the first time.

Thanks ahead of time!

Good call on the GoPro4 SILVER, I really wish I went with that one.

>>you probably want a filter, or set of filters with adapter, and a macro lens is a cool trick if you really want to seek out the tiny guys.... (check them all out here: Backscatter)

>>you will definitely want some kind of tray, and potentially some lights, but at least a tray (like this one: backscatter again...they have one-handed options too)

>>An extra battery is a must, IMO, not necessarily because you'll film THAT much in a day, but because you never want to find that you forgot to charge last night and now you can't shoot all day. I also like to have a spare SD card just in case some little digital demons corrupt my main disk.

hope that's helpful.

EDIT: if you're leaving soon, I recommend CALLING backscatter on the phone to order. They're super friendly and they've expedited stuff for me before a trip with no problem.

When I bought my GoPro 3 black edition, I bought also 2 extra batteries to replace battery after each dive and car charger to be able to charge batteries in a car or from wall.
Also I bought head strap - regret after. I didn't like it at all + replace mask going to be more difficult.
If you have money to spend for photo-video lights, it is good to add lights and tray to connect all together.
But it will increase size of the set and make it difficult to maintain. It is ok, if you are experience diver. If not so, I will suggest to start without light and tray.
But after 50 ft video-picture quality will go down.
Think how you would like to connect camera to your BC. Simple rule : not connected device will be lost now or later, no exceptions. :)
Due the fact that GoPro has bad white balance (as I heard it is still in GoPro 4), you will need filters, depends of depth.
Simple filters can be installed only BEFORE dive, so it will work fine on specific depth only.
Probably you will need more expensive filters, which are replaceable under water.
If spare filter will be not connected to camera, it might be lost (see rule above ).
GoPro 3 had issue with video stabilization, so you should really be good diver to make not shake video or edit later with software.
I don't know if it solved in GoPro 4, I didn't see anything about stabilization in specification.
Finally I sold my GoPro 3 black and one year back bought Sony hdr-as100vr with flat door (must for diving) and hand mount.
From this time I forgot about filters and stabilization. I use the camera for video only.
I never used, but saw a lot in Mexico - people connect camera to monopod. It helps to make macro pictures + of cause selfy.
Also sometimes people connect to camera something slight weight to make camera positive buoyancy.

I just ordered the Hero 4 Silver from Amazon yesterday around 10:00am. They have a free same-day delivery...
I got it before 8:00pm last night.

$399 including several mounts and a 32GB Lexar High-Performance MicroSDHC 633x UHS-I/U3

Batteries, Wasabi power makes extra batteries for the gopro with a wall charger instead of USB charging. Super awesome set up for ~$25.

buy a tray or build a simple one from PVC see the diy section in equipment of scuba.

I'm fairly new to GoPro UW video, but a few things to share from my experience:

First bought a clip-on red filter. Quickly replaced with a better quality filter that you can easily flip on and off - Backscatter Flip 3.1. I only use the medium depth Dive filter for now, works ok even deeper. Might look into their Deep and Macro options as a second flip, but like to keep things simple.

Bought GoPro's Anti-Fog inserts after having very noticeable lens fogging on some of my first videos. Also, google for advice on avoiding fogging.

Extra battery, charger, extra memory card. I got a 64 GB card to have plenty capacity.

Haven't tried different mounting options, but I'm very happy with the one I got (I'm not using lights): Beneath the Surface Multi Grip. Compact and solid and easy to hold the camera steady.

Excellent advice and recommendations everyone. Keep them coming please. I am researching and checking it all out in preparation for my purchase!! Thanks!!

Anti-fog inserts a must. A GOOD quality red filter a must. A steady hand a must. LOL

Having spare batteries is a good idea and Wasabi's good. A tray is nice too if using lights especially. Otherwise use a grip or pole. You'll have to determine what camera settings you want to use. You can go full auto but the colors may shift during filming. Go maybe 5500K white balance for consistent color or Native white balance for RAW color correcting in post.

The Hero 4 line now has image stabilization but it's limited so I wouldn't rely on it too much for steady video. Try to keep your camera as steady as you can with slow panning for good looking shots. Also a lanyard to your wrist or BC.

If I were to have my GoPro dangling, I'd be careful about the filter getting scratched. The acrylic filters scratch easily. Maybe use a small neoprene pouch or something to protect the camera if dangling around on your BC.

Jersey Divers (USA) I'm giving a GoPro course on August 20th 2015 at Underwater Adventures:
7pm for a 3 hr class

http://www.how2scuba.com/training/Specialties/GoPro/

Covering accessories, must haves, what works etc...

Pete Bucknell wrote the GoPro Underwater Videographer course, and the GoPro Underwater Book.

This course will help you understand how to get the most out of your GoPro.
We'll work on settings, editing workflow, footage storage, shooting techniques, dive skills and safety.
We will also discuss equipment, accessories, products to avoid and 'must-haves'.

Over one evening, Pete will let you in on the secrets to steady shooting and share tips and tricks with you.
His years of experience are a great resource for anyone hoping to venture underwater with their GoPro.

New Jersey: at Underwater Adventures
August 20th 7pm - 10pm
Course is $200
3 hr class
508 Millburn Avenue Short Hills, NJ 07078
​

Back
Top Bottom