Latest and greatest GoPro 9,10,11,12 housings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncobowsher

Contributor
Reaction score
The other month did a trip to Truk with a GoPro 10 on a tray and a couple big blue lights. Was getting pretty good results. Had a Hero 4 before with a couple jungle lights before. The newer camera, multiple generations newer sure helped. And some lights with power behind them added up to a massive upgrade.

But I was having an issue. Below 160 feet the buttons would lock up. The standard GoPro waterproof housing stayed dry down to 200' just fine. I ended up going to time lapse and just take a photo every 2 seconds. If I changed modes to actual photo I would often find myself locked out and would have to bounce shallow to get the camera functional again. Next step, new housing.

I have a Golem for the Hero 4. It has worked just fine, never an issue. I could very well order up one for my 10. But I know times have changed and there are other options out there. What's good (and what to avoid) for deeper stuff. Isotta come up as an option. Thought I saw others as well. Figured it was worth asking about before I just order up another IqSub/Golem.

OK then...
Doesn't look like anyone has anything to add. Guess I'll be ordering up another Golem housing for the 10.
Was hoping someone had some modern input into other choices. Guess not

As I understand it, there's the following options for GoPro Hero 10 through 12:
  • GoPro clear plastic housing works down to 60m/200ft. Cheap, circa $50.
  • Could say about the cheap far-eastern GoPro housing ripoffs from Amazon for $20; it's your camera!
  • Carbonarm metal case down to 250m/800ft. €320 + tax from Italy made by EasyDive.it.
  • T-Housing Action Cam Underwater Video Housing For GoPro Hero 12 / 11 / 10 / 9. This appears to be the same as the Carbonarm housing, maybe an OEM version?
  • IQsub housings. Delrin down to 150m/500ft ($390) or aluminium down to 250m/800ft ($465)
  • ISotta housings down to 200m/650ft. €540+tax
  • Hugyfot Vision housing housing. very much in its own category at €1800
Would be interested in hearing from people's experience of any of these housings and with any other that need to be included in that list.

Edits: added others to the list

Didn't know there was one from carbonarm. I'll have to look at that one in detail when I have more time. I see some dome options that might be appealing. Is anyone running one of these?

I just know I need something better than the clear GoPro housing. While dry, the button lockup isn't going to cut it.

Hopefully I'll have a GoPro on Monday and need to find a suitable housing for it.

I had a Hero 3 a long while back and flooded it with the GoPro housing -- user error, not checking the housing was properly closed before jumping in.
:cry:

Since then I've had a Paralenz which has been great in that it's never flooded to 77m/250ft and hundreds of dives. Alas, the quality isn't great and I'm really looking forward to the electronic image stabilisation and artificial horizon, plus vastly improved methods of file transfer.

I am very interested in the performance of the current GoPro housing as it's so cheap. As the GoPro now has intrinsic water resistance to 10m/33ft, it should mean that if the housing leak a bit, it's likely that the GoPro would survive. I know of a guy who uses his GoPro a lot in a GoPro housing and even below 60m/200ft. He's had some success with it.

Am interested in the Carbonarm housing for deeper diving. I know of at least one person who has one and it appears to have worked OK.

The ISotta is very nice and I've seen a few of them around -- their lever button-pressing feature looks great. Bit pricy though.

As I understand it, there's the following options for GoPro Hero 10 through 12:
  • GoPro clear plastic housing works down to 60m/200ft. Cheap, circa $50
  • Carbonarm metal case down to 250m/800ft. €320 + tax from Italy.
  • IQsub housings. Delrin down to 150m/500ft ($390) or aluminium down to 250m/800ft ($465)
  • ISotta housings down to 200m/650ft. €540+tax
Would be interested in hearing from people's experience of any of these housings and with any other that need to be included in that list.
I have the Isotta Housing, I have not had it to 200m yet, but it worked without issue at 65. I love the color too!

If your handy you can change the springs in the gopro housing using parts from menards/etc.

Tbh we should all write gopro and make them fix it. But they might just change it to 160ft max too

Isota.... My 7 has loved it's years in it...

I was looking at backscatter and found 2 more.
Anglerfish with only a 50M / 164' rating. Aluminum housing for $850! That one is out.
Recsea is aluminum with a 300M / 984' rating. Comes in at a slightly more affordable $750

We are up to 7 options now?

What I am considering is between the IQSub (does what I need, good experience with the Hero4) and the Carbonarm. The carbonarm has a youtube video that ends with a link to easydive.com, but I get a security warning trying to go there.

I still have a month until I get serious about which one to get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom