What do I need? GoPro ADVICE please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the first accessories I'd get is housing port cover and camera lens cover. It really should come with these but it doesn't. The best micro SD card is the SanDisk Extreme Pro. 32 gig is about right. An extra battery with charger is helpful (Wasabi is fine).

You also need a leash. The kind I use is the coiled plastic with buckle. Just unbuckle to use the camera.

You can go full auto but the colors may shift during filming. Go maybe 5500K white balance for consistent color or Native white balance for RAW color correcting in post.

Just a quick question. If you use the 5500K setting, do you still have to colour correct in post?

Regards

Just a quick question. If you use the 5500K setting, do you still have to colour correct in post?

Regards

Possibly but it would be slight I think. 5500K would basically be like the daylight white balance setting on most other cameras. If it does need a WB color correction in post, you might be able to apply that same single correction to all the clips at similar depth. It would be much easier than dealing with the erratic clor changes auto WB sometimes creates.

My set up:

Go Pro Hero 3+ Black, shoot in Medium
2 x Sola 2500 video lights
Ikelite Steady tray and arms
Polar Pro Switchblade 2.0
LCD Backpack (made a world of difference to be actually able to frame the shot)
Gear retractor

Two lights I found were critical to getting even lighting across the subject matter.

GoPro workshops coming up at Beneath the Sea and Boston Sea Rovers for those on the East coast of the USA.
There's also a 'Video editing for dummies' workshop at Rovers.
Details here:
Workshops

I'm a hero 4 silver user. But i think black is much better. If u want to buy once, plz check the following:
- Hero 4 black(if u prefer 4k and higher fps), u can choose backpack monitor. Honestly speaking, when i use hero4 silver, i found monitor is not that necessary because it's really too small.
- Dive housing for 60m, this is more reliable on attach filter. And also for deep dive.
- At least one spare battery, better change a new one after each dive. (Dual charger include one battery) my friend always out of battery when they forgot change a new one after 1 dive.
- backscatter or srp filter. Srp is much better.
- close up lens if u want take within 1m. Marcomate or inon
- video light above 800lumen. I regret i didn't use this on my first liveaboard trip. When use this remember to take off filter. A lot people use archon d11v. Looks good and reasonable price. I'm using i-torch pro6+ 2800lumen. Stronger light make better color.
- tray is better for u to stabilize. I don't have one, i mount gopro on the cold shoe of my camera housing.

Dive safe and have a good trip

Repeating some of what's been added above, but some of this depends on your budget and how much time/effort you want to invest in taking video as well as how experienced of a diver you are (worry about task loading).

My $0.02, in priority order (I have a Hero 3+ I've been using for a little over 2 years) -

- Red filter for clear water diving (or magenta/green water for cold/low vis). I use the Backscatter flip system, which is well made and produces great footage
- Tray of some sort to keep the camera stable. 2 handles are better than one for steadier footage. Make sure you have a good lanyard and perhaps some sort of clip as well if you need to clip it to yourself in an emergency
- Micro Memory cards = memory is cheap. Number of memory cards depends on trip logistics. Rather than bringing a laptop or external drive...I bring 1 32 GB card per day of diving on dive trips. Also limits risk of lost footage due to flooding to what you've taken that day
- Agree with the GoPro moisture munchers - I use at least one of these per dive regardless of temp. They are reusable
- Agree with multiple batteries, assuming you want to use it for every dive. The number of batteries depends on how you are using the camera in terms of trip logistics and the ability to charge batteries between dives. For trips where you are doing 5 dives/day, 3-4 batteries might be necessary (I have 4...on certain trips where there are 2 morning boat dives (without returning to the dock), 2 afternoon boat dives and a night dive, 4 are needed in order to keep up with the charging). I change the battery on every dive. For liveaboards where you come back to the mother ship after every dive and can switch-out/charge, 2-3 is probably enough. If using the LCD backpack screen and keeping the camera on for the entire dive, the camera battery tends to last about 1.5 dives for me. Some folks use tricks to extend this (camera off when not shooting, etc.)
- The GoPro multi-battery charger allows you to charge 2 at a time
- The LCD back-pack - critical if you want to see what you're shooting/frame shots. Also easier to see what mode/navigate though settings menu underwater if needed.
- Light(s) = 1 is better than none and 2 are better than 1 :). Huge range of prices depending on your budget. Also pay attention to battery question...same issues regarding logistics as the camera batteries. Some lights have removable batteries where you can have more than 1...some have built-in batteries that are not removable...but which may last more than 1 dive depending on how long/bright you burn them on each dive. A great starter tray/light combo is the Sea-Dragon 1200 made by Sea-Life. I used this until I recently upgraded to 2 lights recently
- Macro lens. I use the Macromate mini from Backscatter. The beauty of their flip system is that you can easily switch between wide angle filter and macro lens without any screwing/snapping on/off underwater
- One underrated factor to consider - figure out how you will carry all this stuff on a trip. I have a camera back-pack I use when flying for dive trips...lots of pockets for memory cards, batteries, etc., etc.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom