What did you try this year that was "new" in your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I moved from Kuala Lumpur to Sydney this year, so my diving has changed completely.

Shore dives, thick wetsuits, steel tanks. I also got a chance to try a drysuit and CCR. And by doing local diving instead of destination diving, I finally appreciate the services that a LDS provides.

@TMHeimer - they are Muskies. Very special as back a number of years there was a virus that decimated the big predator fish here in the Niagara River. These both were in the 4-foot size, so great to see the population rebounding.

Shot video (GoPro) underwater. It was on a trip to Grand Turk in March and there are a couple times when you can hear the whales that were migrating through the area.

After the trip, I had to learn how to edit the video that was shot. Although it took a lot of work (roughly 5 hours of editing for every minute of finished video - but I was learning as I went) I was quite pleased with the final result.

Started targeting lionfish this year. Took a good spine to the knee cap recently. I'm still learning.
Ouch!! Never been stung but got pretty close when I was hunting them without zookeepers/clipping the spines underwater. Some are so big a small spear perfectly placed won't kill them.

Made some changes. In no particular order...

1. switched from splits (back) to paddle fins
2. switched from vest BC to back inflate (not quite ready for wing, yet)
3. dropped 5 lbs of lead through better buoyancy control
4. moved computer and compass out of console and onto wrists
5. moved SPG from right side (on console) to left (SPG only)
6. more dives this year than past 4 years combined
7. changed from Aeris dive computer PC software to MacDive
8. retied an old C8 light and replaced it with a DX LED

95% of that is due to advice and posts from ScubaBoard.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom