What did you try this year that was "new" in your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nolatom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Still a few days left, but anyway:

For me:

--First time scrubbing a boat bottom using scuba gear (34' sailing sloop). More work, and less vis, than you expect. A suction cup with a handle (window glass grip, or even a small toilet plunger) is essential.

--Shore dive to a wreck. At the Stuart, Florida House of Refuge beach. Very shallow, not much stuff left, but the 1903 wreck of the "Georges Valentine" made an enjoyable, cheap, dive. I've not done that many shore dives (mostly in New England where it's all the rage, and cold) so this was new for me, at least in the Gulf and Fla east coast where I usually dive. Also re-reminded me that you have to be heavy enough on weights when shallow, if you are a couple pounds short, you'll have constantly "exhaled lungs" to compensate, and hate it.

--Instabuddy out-of-box thinking--he was sucking down air very fast on first wreck dive off Orange Beach, what to do? I'd tried to go slow, but we still had to get back to the upline before he got too low. So-- Why not let him lead second dive? He was much more relaxed setting the pace himself, so we were much closer in air usage.

--Cheap-ass work Gloves from WalMart, work as well as tropical dive gloves, at a third the price.

That's about it. Not very dramatic, but it was new, and expanded my dive world a little. I'm sure you'll have something too, please have at it, and season's greetings.

Side mount. Changed my life.
Started diving rebreather. Ditto.

And merry happy to all!

Home made dry gloves: buy some insulated vinyl-coated waterproof gloves from the hardware store, and glue dry suit wrist seals to them. Instant dry gloves, and MUCH warmer hands...

I spent the whole summer doing recreational dives with a rebuilt vintage double hose.... (my tech trips were still on single hose rigs). Here it is at the bow of the Keystorm in the Thousand Islands....

upload_2016-12-22_14-2-30.png

Still a few days left, but anyway:

For me:

--First time scrubbing a boat bottom using scuba gear (34' sailing sloop). More work, and less vis, than you expect. A suction cup with a handle (window glass grip, or even a small toilet plunger) is essential.

--Shore dive to a wreck. At the Stuart, Florida House of Refuge beach. Very shallow, not much stuff left, but the 1903 wreck of the "Georges Valentine" made an enjoyable, cheap, dive. I've not done that many shore dives (mostly in New England where it's all the rage, and cold) so this was new for me, at least in the Gulf and Fla east coast where I usually dive. Also re-reminded me that you have to be heavy enough on weights when shallow, if you are a couple pounds short, you'll have constantly "exhaled lungs" to compensate, and hate it.

--Instabuddy out-of-box thinking--he was sucking down air very fast on first wreck dive off Orange Beach, what to do? I'd tried to go slow, but we still had to get back to the upline before he got too low. So-- Why not let him lead second dive? He was much more relaxed setting the pace himself, so we were much closer in air usage.

--Cheap-ass work Gloves from WalMart, work as well as tropical dive gloves, at a third the price.

That's about it. Not very dramatic, but it was new, and expanded my dive world a little. I'm sure you'll have something too, please have at it, and season's greetings.
New fins. I bought Mares Avanti Quattros before my last trip, and didn't use my Biofins once. :)

Solo diving (after completing a solo-diving course)... Been diving _in the company of others_ on various occasions (e.g. while DM'ing, being paired with a clueless insta-buddy on a boat, etc.) but only dived solo before on a handful of times (e.g. retrieving an anchor, being an 'underwater victim' during a rescue course, etc.). Will give it a go in the local pond this winter...

This season discovered that evening dives and wicked early morning dives were pretty spectacular too.

Back
Top Bottom