What did you learn from your very last dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't stand around BS'ing and accidentally put your gear on your used tank by mistake and then jump in the water without checking your air pressure.

On my last dive I learned that freshwater jellyfish are really cool.

Learned that I was narked at depth even when I thought I wasn't.:)
And... Not all boat operators carry extra weight belts and weights.

Any pictures? I would love to see this.....being a freshwater diver as well.

On my last dive I learned that freshwater jellyfish are really cool.

-If renting a BCD check that it has it's tank strap, otherwise you might be forced to locate a dive shop in an area you don't know to get one (called the LDS I rented from, they give me directions to the closest one, paid for the new strap when I got back).

-After you get your reg back from a check-up take it to a pool or somewhere close for a test dive (buddy had it's regulator free flowing when he had his head down)

-Dry suits can be really warm, but the additional insulation requires a lot more weight on the belt (did the cert in boardies / t-shirt in the neoprene suit since the water was somewhat warm)

-Prior to leaving for the dive site, put you reg on the tank to check that... it has the correct air pressure (was ok)... the tank o-ring is still good (wasn't)... fortunately we were able to fix it on site.

Lots of little problems on that dive... but everything turned out ok in the end.

I learned that the "barren" sand areas contain many fascinating creatures, if you look hard enough and open your eyes to the very small and the very large.

Saw the tiniest hermit crabs I'd never heard of; large, very fast dungeness crabs; mostly buried flounders and other cool stuff.

Dive lasted 75 minutes and we got down to 45 fsw.

I should not swim into the current during a drift dive pretending to be a fish and leaving my buddy feet away behind me! In a drift dive you are supposed to drift with the current not challenge it!

I still don't know why he had so much trouble with the current. We end the dive earlier than planned because he was getting exhausted and tired of dealing with the flow of water that was running at about over 3kt, especially going back to the beach. It was a rather steep slope and he had to dig his fingers into the bottom to avoid to be swept away while I could swim against the current by kicking a bit harder!!!:confused:

I wear a semi-dry suit and he a dry suit, both of us have BP/W.

Was his dry suit that gave him so much trouble in the current?

On my last dive, I learned a lot about Titan Triggerfish

1. They get really pissy if you go to close to their nest, even if it's an accident
2. They're really pretty when viewed from 2 inch away as it charges you
3. They're huge
4. They have big teeth
5. They will try to bite your fins if you don't clear off as quick as it would like

Also learned to dive with a buddy who recognises an angry triggerfish when she sees one and doesn't hang around to be told to move, waiting to see what it will do next! (It tried to bite her fins is what it did next!) :shakehead:

I learned I can get my kayak with all my SCUBA gear through 3 to 5 surf from the beach, but I can't get it back through that amount of surf with out getting broached, rolled, maytagged, and generally rolled up on the beach with two bushels of sand in all my gear. And getting smacked in the head with the boat. From now on, if the bloody surf is higher than my knees, I ain't agoin.

Took me over two hours to get all the crud out of my gear, and I had to have my tech guy clean out my reg.

At least everything was well secured and clipped to the kayak, so I didn't lose anything. Except my dignity with all the beach rats watching me crash and burn. :blush: :cussing:

I learned that after a week of back-rolling into 82 degree water in Coz, getting up in the morning and going to work sucks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom