What did you just say?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A mask sitting comfortably on the forehead is not a sign of panic. Zilch. I only know what PADI teaches about this in its course materials, and it teaches that equipment rejection is one sign of panic. A panicked diver pushing the mask off the face will usually lose it completely, but sometimes it will stay on the head, quite askew. Does anyone think that a diver thrashing about in the water with the mask barely hanging on looks the same as someone chatting with a friend with the mask carefully placed on the forehead? Does anyone really think a DM is going to come leaping to the rescue in such a situation?

The risk of having it come off in a wave is more real. A diver in such seas should have the mask on the face where it will do some good.

A mask sitting comfortably on the forehead is not a sign of panic. Zilch. I only know what PADI teaches about this in its course materials, and it teaches that equipment rejection is one sign of panic. A panicked diver pushing the mask off the face will usually lose it completely, but sometimes it will stay on the head, quite askew. Does anyone think that a diver thrashing about in the water with the mask barely hanging on looks the same as someone chatting with a friend with the mask carefully placed on the forehead? Does anyone really think a DM is going to come leaping to the rescue in such a situation?

The risk of having it come off in a wave is more real. A diver in such seas should have the mask on the face where it will do some good.

Well said

LOL... No geez, that is just stupid.

... I'm terrified of fish, or I should say fish I can't see. As long as viz is good I'm fine but when viz goes to crap I'm so not ok with the fish that come out of nowhere. I've been teaching before and definitely jumped when a fish randomly appeared. ...
Nothing wrong with that. That's called being careful!

I've always thought the no mask on the forehead was a silly rule. If that's your only sign of distress there must not be much distress. If it is more comfortable for you so be it.

I have had my mask ripped off by a wave in surf but it was on my face. I, and my buddy also, were so entranced by the large wave rolling in we just watched it and ducked a little but did not place our hand over our mask to hold it on. The wave washed both of our masks off so fast neither of us even felt the mask being removed. Both were lost to sea.

I wonder why do people do such stupid things sometimes. I prefer to be the coward who lives to see another day than the fool who'd be brought up at pubs for a laugh.

Wasn't nothing funny about the outcome. One guy died. Another one spent the night in the chamber. Another never dived again. And the instructor was permanently banned by his agency.

About the only positive was that one of the other students on this dive decided to use it as a learning experience and went on to become an instructor ... a damn good one at that.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added April 18th, 2013 at 09:22 AM ----------

Some people should just never be instructors. It's horrifying that they're actually in charge of people. In her defense though I'm terrified of fish, or I should say fish I can't see. As long as viz is good I'm fine but when viz goes to crap I'm so not ok with the fish that come out of nowhere. I've been teaching before and definitely jumped when a fish randomly appeared. Makes my students/friends laugh once they figure out why.

You probably wouldn't have liked this, then ... dude's about eight feet long, and his head's bigger than mine. But he's got the disposition of a puppy ... came charging out of the darkness hoping for a handout ...

P1010018a.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Smartest lesson learned/dumbest statement I've heard by a rather distressed diver shuffling rapidly towards the port-a-john "never eat at Toco Bell the night before you dive".

Kinda like eating at "White Castle" before a date.

I was on a dive boat with a two other divers a while back, and overheard them.

The first diver made a quick joke about the DM (nothing insulting, just good fun). The other diver quickly looks over and said to the first diver "don't piss off the divemaster, she is the only reason we will make it back alive".

I am pretty sure he was mostly kidding...but still :)

On a recent night dive, the divemaster asked all of us to get ready (fins on, air on, etc) and don't forget to turn on our flashlights. One diving customer said, "We need a flashlight?" Well dah.........

I was in the club pool one night swimming a few lengths. I had stopped for a rest at the shallow end, where a few people were doing try-dives. The instructor was explaining how to clear a mask and the woman he was explaining it to began asking how it was possible. The instructor demonstrated breathing in through the reg and out through the nose, however, she couldn't grasp how he was doing it. He explained again and she still didn't get it. She then said "If you breathe in through the mouth, you can't breathe out through the nose.'. The instructor asked why she thought this and she explained how one lung was connected to the mouth and the other was connected to the nose!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom