What did you just say?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, there was no stabbing. I was relating what I would have been tempted to do had I been his buddy and experienced that.

---------- Post added April 16th, 2013 at 03:11 PM ----------

I'm sure it's been done thousands of times before in warm water, but I don't think it's been done nearly so much around here. Around here 30' of visibility is very good and past 100' there's hardly any light at all. Basically the guy would have been descending for 200' or so into murky blackness.

There was a rather well publicized case a few years back of an instructor here taking his AOW class on a bounce dive to 200 feet ... at night. He figured he'd combine the deep and night dives all into one. Six went down ... five came up ... they found the other guy's body 10 months later, half-buried in mud at 205 fsw ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Planning the last dive of the Tec45 course. Asking what dive the students want to do. Blank stares. Asking what max depth they want to go to. One of them, who also happens to be an instructor answers 30m and adds: "i get narced if i go any deeper"...

One that I hear alot, sometimes from good friends, is along the lines of "We don't dive as buddies. We just follow the DM".

There was also: "Yeah, we did the blue hole. Got a little bent but no big deal."

Dove with a guy that when I asked how much air he had left, his reply: The ok sign.

I've given the OK sign before when asked how much air I have left. When going out on local charters we often don't know what dive sites we are going to. I will sometimes bring my 130 tank but all we end up diving are 40 feet deep sites. I tell my buddies ahead of time I have plenty of air no need to ask me. If we are 40 minutes into a 60 minute dive and someone asks me how much air I have and I still have 1800 PSI left I will sometimes just signal Ok meaning I have plenty left for the next 20 minutes. I suppose some people don't like that lack of info. I'm used to diving with buddies on shallow dives where none of us ever ask each other how much air we have because we all know we all have enough, or we all have enough sense to monitor air and let the others know when we get halfway or 1,000 or whatever. I'm sure some people don't like that practice.

Last edited:
Unless you were my instructor in a class, on a recreational dive you'd probably get the same response from me for anything less than 1,000 psi. The answer of "ok" when asked "how's your gas" is fairly common all over the world. Did you discuss something different during your pre-dive planning with your buddy? (Did you discuss anything during your pre-dive planning with your buddy?)

If you persisted in asking me "how's your gas" after I said "ok" you'd get a different hand signal altogether.

:d
I have given the "ok" on a few occasions myself as well as an indication of "Ive got plenty left"..
If they persisted Id give them the answer "ten".. with a finger other than the index one :p

Well, if you're going to die of a heart attack...
Well, I guess I wouldnt NEED the scrotum if I did..

While standing on the steps near the water with my students, just after Dive One, relaxing, we see to other divers heading in.
One then yells to his friend (I won't say buddy for a reason that will be obvious in a moment) "HA! Rookie mistake! Can you turn my air on?"
I could barely refrain from yelling out "NO! That's NOT a rookie mistake! That's showing that you didn't even spend ten seconds doing a buddy check or if you did, you did a pi$$ poor check! Rookies don't make that mistake!"
All of my students heard him also and just looked at him with disbelief and disgust.

A different time, also on a SI, watching some Japanese divers walking up the steps. I can hear one talking in English, so I ask her, "Where's your depth gauge?" (she only had a pressure gauge, no depth gauge nor watch/timer/computer). She answered, "I don't need one, my Instructor has one."
"Wow, really? You trust your life to someone else? Are you PADI trained? Open Water diver?"
"Yes, PADI Open Water."
"Do you realize how dangerous that is? PADI states that you have to have a depth gauge and a timing device with you on every dive.
"Oh, I guess I'll check into that. Thanks!"
At least she seemed to get my hints....

Finally, watching Japanese divers heading into the ocean, with their alternate air sources wrapped and tied in a knot around their tanks.

---------- Post added April 17th, 2013 at 05:48 PM ----------

Sounds good to me.

There is a really good chance that the stupider statement was whatever was said telling him why he shouldn't do it.

---------- Post added April 16th, 2013 at 02:01 PM ----------

Just to make my last statement clear, by the far the stupidest thing I have ever heard, and I have heard it several times, is the warning that if you put your mask on your forehead while chatting amiably with a friend, someone will think you are in a state of panic and come frantically to your rescue

I would think that being in the pool, the student is getting trained to do things properly and safely. Teaching someone to not wear their mask on the forehead is not a bad thing, it is a good way to establish good habits.
If a mask on the forehead (in the water) is a sign of a diver in distress, why would you let your students do that any time? That's letting them get the wrong habit...it's okay sometimes but not others.
Plus the first nasty wave that comes along in the ocean has a good chance of knocking their mask completely off their forehead. (I've had my mask ripped right off my face by a nasty wave - fortunately I was prepared and holding it.)
Sure, it's a one-in-a-million chance that somethings going to go wrong. For me? That's too many chances. I want None-in-a-million.
Teach them the good habits to start and just outright avoid even giving them a chance to do it wrong.

There was a rather well publicized case a few years back of an instructor here taking his AOW class on a bounce dive to 200 feet ... at night. He figured he'd combine the deep and night dives all into one. Six went down ... five came up ... they found the other guy's body 10 months later, half-buried in mud at 205 fsw ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I wonder why do people do such stupid things sometimes. I prefer to be the coward who lives to see another day than the fool who'd be brought up at pubs for a laugh.

An instructor at a shop was telling me about her experience in Bonaire. She said she ran out of air while diving around 80 feet. ( Not paying attention) So, now she's afraid to dive deeper than 60 feet. She's also afraid of night diving.
I told her how great our Galapegos trip was but she's also afraid of sharks.
This is an instructor. Actively teaching students. Alrighty then.

Some people should just never be instructors. It's horrifying that they're actually in charge of people. In her defense though I'm terrified of fish, or I should say fish I can't see. As long as viz is good I'm fine but when viz goes to crap I'm so not ok with the fish that come out of nowhere. I've been teaching before and definitely jumped when a fish randomly appeared. Makes my students/friends laugh once they figure out why.

One of the classics gotta be someone who put on a different computer for the second dive and when asked why replied "I want more dive time"..

Must have been a truck driver.

Back
Top Bottom