What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not a "DIR-type". I just wish I had bought gauges I could see more easily, and an alternate air source that was easier to use. Even if I never took the DIR course, I would feel that way about those things.
Same here. The Air-2, console air integrated computer, SP Classic...........all seemed like no brainers at the time.

Diving and what you experience can and should change your perception of what works. What seemed comfortable (because it was familiar) became an impediment. Never took a DIR course either, but reading, then borrowing the gear was a revelation.

It was amazing the negative crap I got from my LDS (who did not sell BP/W gear, hell, no one did other than a shop in Hollywood) about not buying one of the back inflate hideous piles of fabric they carried. Was alway happy with my Mk20 and G250 though, had them for well over a decade now.

The jacket BC, console, and Air-2 went the E-Bay way, never miss them.

With all the regrets maybe a couple of "I really like that" posts will help. Aeris Ion reg fantastic, Atomic Dive computer Awesome, both my HP 80 tanks, Xcel 976 hooded suit (my drysuit is retired) my Atomic SS1 and my new Aeris 5 oceans bc. NO REGRETS HERE find all of this and more at New England Divers Inc or you LDS remember service and warranties matter.

Well here it goes, I regret buying console computer, and wet suit. The computer make using analog gauges as a redundancy difficult, and in Michigan a dry suit is a must, because the water temp at 80 ft never changes, it is always cold.

With all the regrets maybe a couple of "I really like that" posts will help. Aeris Ion reg fantastic, Atomic Dive computer Awesome, both my HP 80 tanks, Xcel 976 hooded suit (my drysuit is retired) my Atomic SS1 and my new Aeris 5 oceans bc. NO REGRETS HERE find all of this and more at New England Divers Inc or you LDS remember service and warranties matter.

Atomic SS1 - $249
Aeris 5 Oceans - $619
Aeris Ion - $249
Excel 976 - $577
Atomic Dive Computer (Cobalt??? is the only one I could find) - $1200
-------------------------------
Internet price total = $2894
+ 5% LDS Markup =~$3038

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I've bought ScubaPro reg, oceanic octo and console with Data Plus computer, 4 or 5 BCs, a Backplate and accessories (webbing d rings etc), a light, 2 knives, 3 Luxfer AL80 tanks, and a second oceanic console with Veo 180 computer for under $1200 including having the regs serviced and the tanks hydro and viz.

No offense but I'll take my used gear over your service and warranties "that matter" any day. I have no real beef with people touting buying in a shop but implying that the gear is somehow better or safer because of such is simply wrong.

I could have bought 5 times as much gear as you for the same price. My gear is certainly older than yours and not quite as flashy a computer, but so far no regrets. The second console provides backup options should something break and the ability to more easily download my dives to a digital log, and the BCs have all been used for parts. I did sell my first BC to another diver who is new(ish) to the sport and wanted a BC at a low price.

A Mercury Linx...ooops, wrong forum.

An Aqualung compass. Not a huge expenditure but I figured, "How can you mess up a compass?" When they did. Moral of the story, don't buy cheap just because it's simple technology.

My first dive knife......
Many years ago I used to watch re-broadcasts of a TV show called, Sea Hunt.
So when I decided to take up diving, of course I needed a Mike Nelson (Main Character) type knife.
I since have given it away, so can't remember brand, but it was probably 2 feet long (just kidding), but maybe close to 12 inches overall and of course had a sheath that attached to your leg.
Got some snickers but no one messed with me :wink:
It was actually my first buy even before Mask, Fin, Snorkel.

Another one would be the Super Duper Supreme None Dryer than this one-Snorkel, I originally got at LDS recommendation. Ended up in the trash.
Since have gone to pocket snorkel.

The last would be SPG with too small of a face. Getting older (Eyes), should have been factored in.

Last edited:
I don't take it wrong but since my previous equipment worked for me over 15 years and with my warranties I only spent $60 or so to maintain it I'd say I come out ahead. I spent a little over $800 at my LDS for Tank, Reg BC and SSI just got the Cobalt and it was a little pricey but I still think it was worth it. That was $1090.00 and they took my old computer as trade in so out of pocket I spent under $1000.00 After all it life support and I deserve it. (Note: I never buy used cars either)
I can't count the times my buddies with used gear had to abort dives due to issues and spent more in service, hose replacements and other issues than they save. I understand the feeling of a deal some get buying used but it's just not for me. Happy Diving, Stay safe.

Almost forgot the 9-7-6 suit was $412.00 and it is 3 years old and I still stay mostly dry. My dive buddies freak when I pull it off and my bathing suit is still dry.

I don't take it wrong but since my previous equipment worked for me over 15 years and with my warranties I only spent $60 or so to maintain it I'd say I come out ahead. I spent a little over $800 at my LDS for Tank, Reg BC and SSI just got the Cobalt and it was a little pricey but I still think it was worth it. That was $1090.00 and they took my old computer as trade in so out of pocket I spent under $1000.00 After all it life support and I deserve it. (Note: I never buy used cars either)
I can't count the times my buddies with used gear had to abort dives due to issues and spent more in service, hose replacements and other issues than they save. I understand the feeling of a deal some get buying used but it's just not for me. Happy Diving, Stay safe.

Almost forgot the 9-7-6 suit was $412.00 and it is 3 years old and I still stay mostly dry. My dive buddies freak when I pull it off and my bathing suit is still dry.

Sounds like you got some pretty decent deals. Good for you. I like it when people respond to my potentially flame-bait posts with a reasoned response, especially since I generally don't intend my posts to be flame-bait. I will say, my used gear is at least 10, closer to 15 years old and is still going strong. :wink: Some of us like new, some of us don't, no reason we can't all dive in the same oceans though.

Back
Top Bottom