What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow where do I start have been diving for 16 years so here goes in 1998 Monterey Bay Wetsuit a neoprene dry suit....to tight, I am sweaty, cold and uncomfortable. Used it about 15 dives and put it away.....steel 95's scuba tanks way to heavy for shore diving......any large or Big Eye masks....with and Italian nose it smashes my nose and makes my face sore...Aqualung Solaflex wet suit.....water enters from the neck and the hood catches bubbles super bad.....weight integrated BC, the BC is super good I like that but the integrated weight well I rather have the weight on my hips to pick up the weight of a tank and 33lbs make a hump to carry all on my shoulders.....and so sadly my WHITE FUSION SPORT DRY SUIT...I had such high hopes, read so many reviews, asked all the right questions, even tried them out had problems and everyone said just have to dive it more and you will love it.....well I hate it....to be plumb it is so touchy, weighting is so hard to get right I never did......the bubble is hard to manage.....I am not dry I am wet with sweat...super soaked.....it is hard to get in to.....neck seal chokes me wrist seals.. well my hand just does not fit though with out cream......My White Fusion Dry Suit Sport makes diving not fun......and the bigest issue.......I AM STILL COLD!!!! even with the $259.00 4th Element xerotherm undergarments I was really trying. The reviews are great and people love it but I just don't know......I hate it...never even had a marginally good dive....I would rather dive wet put it on and go..... the dive shop I bought it from does not offer much help...... so I am a :dork2: for believing the LDS :shakehead: when they said that more dives make it better...only thing I can do is :rofl3:...and....:depressed:....feeling like a :mooner: head.....and I guess :idk: it is sadly time to just write this......so anyone who wants a great deal on a drysuit or wetsuit (or other equipment) with an extra neoprene skin contact me 2x/3x short it has all the goodies.......hope someone gives it a good home and loves my lonely White Fusion Dry Suit I learned my lesson:( Hey maybe I can donate it to Good Will and write it off of taxes? or toss it in the dump.....:coffee:

Last edited:
Wow where do I start have been diving for 16 years so here goes in 1998 Monterey Bay Wetsuit a neoprene dry suit....to tight, I am sweaty, cold and uncomfortable. Used it about 15 dives and put it away.....steel 95's scuba tanks way to heavy for shore diving......any large or Big Eye masks....with and Italian nose it smashes my nose and makes my face sore...Aqualung Solaflex wet suit.....water enters from the neck and the hood catches bubbles super bad.....weight integrated BC, the BC is super good I like that but the integrated weight well I rather have the weight on my hips to pick up the weight of a tank and 33lbs make a hump to carry all on my shoulders.....and so sadly my WHITE FUSION SPORT DRY SUIT...I had such high hopes, read so many reviews, asked all the right questions, even tried them out had problems and everyone said just have to dive it more and you will love it.....well I hate it....to be plumb it is so touchy, weighting is so hard to get right I never did......the bubble is hard to manage.....I am not dry I am wet with sweat...super soaked.....it is hard to get in to.....neck seal chokes me wrist seals.. well my hand just does not fit though with out cream......My White Fusion Dry Suit Sport makes diving not fun......and the bigest issue.......I AM STILL COLD!!!! even with the $259.00 4th Element xerotherm undergarments I was really trying. The reviews are great and people love it but I just don't know......I hate it...never even had a marginally good dive....I would rather dive wet put it on and go..... the dive shop I bought it from does not offer much help...... so I am a :dork2: for believing the LDS :shakehead: when they said that more dives make it better...only thing I can do is :rofl3:...and....:depressed:....feeling like a :mooner: head.....and I guess :idk: it is sadly time to just write this......so anyone who wants a great deal on a drysuit or wetsuit (or other equipment) with an extra neoprene skin contact me 2x/3x short it has all the goodies.......hope someone gives it a good home and loves my lonely White Fusion Dry Suit I learned my lesson:( Hey maybe I can donate it to Good Will and write it off of taxes? or toss it in the dump.....:coffee:

I think I made pretty good choices. I am a new diver and I was eager to get my own gear. I have all the basics, BC, mask, fins, boots, computer, reg, snorkel.

BC: I bought the ladyhawk. I did try other BC's during certification and I really like the feel of the back inflation underwater. I feel more stable. I wanted integrated weights because I hated the weight belt, and I did get Air2. Despite complaints I have seen here, I like it. It's convenient and less hassle than an Octo. But that is just my preference so far.

Reg: Went with the Scubapro m17/a700. I did a lot of research on this before I bought. I wanted something that I knew would work well in both warm and cold water. This I felt was a better choice and so far I love it.

Computer: Galileo Luna. I am in love. It does everything for me. I got it integrated too. I am a technology junkie. I hated the consoles and heavy gauges.

Fins: I did the hybrid fins. The seem a little heavy sometimes. I foresee possible problems when I try diving where there are currents, but we'll see. They are sturdy and so far have done well.

I'd have to say the only thing I might have done different is my snorkel. I never use it anyway, but I got the one that has the splash guard at the top, which always seems to hook onto my hose that goes to my BC. It's annoying. Most of the time it stays in my bag on shore. If I see a need to have my snorkel someday, I might replace it with one without that crap on the end.

Regret:

AI Computer - They can fail indicating high pressure just as easily as they can fail indicating low pressure.
Wetsuit - Should have put the money into a dry suit up front.
Clear silicone mask and snorkel - discolors over time

Like:
Atomic Aquatics sealed regulators
BP/W
Side Mount (SMS100, Razor)
Whites Fusion Drysuit (but don't like Aqualung)
VPlanner

Worst thing I bought was $2k in dive equipment for a wife who doesn't enjoy diving... Huge lesson learned is not forcing your loved one into your hobby/passion.

How true, glad I stopped at the cert classes and MSF's! But I have since traded her in.....so I guess I have a clean slate to buy more gear :wink:

Have to say the worst purchase was the Suunto D-9, a non user changeable battery, hard to see, both times it was sent in they found "issues" that were not covered under warranty IE depth module (replacement $475) and a compass software issue they wanted $200 not to mention the cost of battery change and what they call cleaning. All within 3 years of original purchase. Gone back to a hosed computer (Aeris ai) a much happier diver now! A close second was split fins, only word that covers it is "useless" would never purchase them again.

you can get that EXACT same mask for almost half off here Hi-View Frameless Mask same exact mask just without "tilos" or "sherwood" stamped on the side of it. great mask! i've had 9-10 instabuddies wearing the exact same one as me, but they payed $20-50 too much. poor dollars, they need love too :(

Mine is on it's way. Thanks Rakpix! $27 and change to my door!

--D

I for one love my AirII and my split fin turbos. I do how ever regret reading this whole thread. (not to be mean) but sometimes ignorance is bliss. I love all my gear and did not know there was anything wrong with it until I read this thread and heard so many people complaining about the stuff I have.

Just kidding, I am glad I read it and learned a bunch along the way. But I do love my SP BCD, AirII, SP twin split fins, my SP clear mask with side windows, etc. I only dive warm water and it works great for me. I like the side windows because I can see my son next to me with out having to turn my head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom