What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halcyon Infinity. 70 dives later, it's down to Eclipse level. Cinch never worked well for me.

US Divers Aqua Lung Pacifica masks. I bought two and both failed after a few dives. The silicon rubber under the metal frame ripped, leaving a tear 1" long in the area between the frame and the glass. This happened on both masks.

ijdod, what didn't you like about the cinch? Yours is the first negative take on it that I've read.

ijdod, what didn't you like about the cinch? Yours is the first negative take on it that I've read.

Essentially, for me it failed to work as easily as advertised. Tightening the straps worked fairly well on the right side, marginally on the left. For some reason it would move a few cm, then stop, which makes tightening it down properly a pain. Tried a different one at the shop, pretty much the same. Never was able to release the straps reliably, including unloaded, so without tanks or wings attached. Went through all the pulling/pushing angles and all that as decribed on the forums and by Halcyon, and in the end just stopped trying to use the cinch part. At a guess I'd say the webbing used is too stiff or rough for the system to work.

Color me disappointed, as I liked the idea very much (which is why I bought it). Love the BP/W in itself though.

For me it's my AI computer...I wouldn't say that I regret this piece I would simply say that looking back I would advise to plan to add a secondary Pressure Gauge. I actually love my AI as it helps me plan timing based on nitrogen loading or air consumption while under. This is handy as I use air faster than my wife. However, I didn't like having my air indicator tied to my computer in the event of a computer problem. (Rare I know) At any rate, I added a secondary Pressure gauge and love my setup now.

What dive gear did I buy that I regret ?
- SS backplate from some well-known brand. Actually it had no particular flaw, but it just kept breaking my back and that was not a matter of adjusting the harness. I sold it to a better man and bought a backplate from another well-known brand that I tried longer and that fitted me perfectly.

- Wing from some well-known brand. It was robust but not well thought out in my opinion. I ordered it without actually seeing it, apart from on the Net. After I saw it for real (but that was too late), I sold it almost immediately. Maybe I would have been more satisfied with a bungeed version :). But I am very satisfied of some wings from another brand.

- All my wetsuits with a back zip opening : I found out (but later) that a front zip opening was much more convenient, while diving, for my pissing without getting smelly. Now, all my wetsuits have a front zip opening, and I have no worries anymore about hydrating myself before diving. So it's not only about convenience, but also a safety issue :).

Interesting about the wetsuit. I just had a custom 7mm suit made with a front zipper and could not stand it. Cold water was coming in through the zipper into the top of my chest, the worst place. I'm having the suit redone into the conventional rear zipper with hooded vest.

Adam

Mares Liquid Skin Mask sold it immediately
Scubapro Twin Jet Max sold them immediately
sea and sea point and shoot camera with sea arm and YS strobe , i should have just brought a DSLR housing from the outset.

Essentially, for me it failed to work as easily as advertised. Tightening the straps worked fairly well on the right side, marginally on the left. For some reason it would move a few cm, then stop, which makes tightening it down properly a pain. Tried a different one at the shop, pretty much the same. Never was able to release the straps reliably, including unloaded, so without tanks or wings attached. Went through all the pulling/pushing angles and all that as decribed on the forums and by Halcyon, and in the end just stopped trying to use the cinch part. At a guess I'd say the webbing used is too stiff or rough for the system to work.

Color me disappointed, as I liked the idea very much (which is why I bought it). Love the BP/W in itself though.

I spray some silicone on the webbing and it makes a big difference. It softens up the material and now after 30 dives I don't need to use much.

>masks with frames

I had broken a lot... then I discovered the unframed-"silicon on glass" masks, simply superior, sturdier, better visual and even cheapper too (I love the chinese 25$ tech model...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom