What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was referring to the PADI course. But yours sounds like one hell of a good course :>, and that is what an equipment specialty course should really teach :>, well i thinking the melting lead being an extra :>

As a new diver on a small island with no rentals, people give you stuff they don't like :wink:
Like an ancient scubapro jacket BC that was too big. The tank/jacket would slip from side to side, driving me crazy. A weight belt I feared I would loose.
A used a pair of US Divers cheap snorkling fins that had no propulsion, and a leaky US Divers mask.
I perservered, through my OW class and aquired modern well fitting equipment and I am so happy!

verybaddiver:
I was referring to the PADI course. But yours sounds like one hell of a good course :>, and that is what an equipment specialty course should really teach :>, well i thinking the melting lead being an extra :>

From what my understanding the the equipment specialty course can vary from place to place. Some give just a how to care for gear course, others give a more indepth course. You need to ask about what they teach.

Edit: I never heard about melting lead, much too dangerous. But I did read about it in a book. You can get the lead for free at tire shops. They use it for balancing tires, you just need to fish the steel out of the molten lead. lol

ams511:
Edit: I never heard about melting lead, much too dangerous. But I did read about it in a book. You can get the lead for free at tire shops. They use it for balancing tires, you just need to fish the steel out of the molten lead. lol

Hey, in the old days, if you wanted a weight for your weight belt, you melted lead and poured it yourself. One of the guys had a weight mold and it used to pass around the club as required. Lead ingots could be bought from a metal foundary. I think that we had a vague idea that lead was bad for you so we tried to keep our face out of the fumes while pouring. It can not have been too bad. I am still alive 30 years later and my kids don't have any abnormalities... :crazy3:

Tank light that the dm took from before our night dive.

my first pair of booties. They has a seam running up the back that turned the back of my feet and ankles to raw hamburger.

my second mask. I have a child's size mask I bought first and then I wanted an all clear mask to see better. It's too big for my dinky head and flooded on every dive. I didn't take my old mask so I had to buy a 3rd mask in Roatan.

the duffle bag style dive bag. It now hold all my extra dive stuff. The backpack style is much better.

I am very lucky. I took my classes at Scubatoys plus I live with in 15 minutes of the store. They have been really great about helping me buy the right gear. Having a good local dive shop is wonderful.

hate my short bootie - sand and gravel gets inside during shore dives is not a pleasant expereince :blinking:

hate my snorkel (though it's a matching color with my mask :D) the mask strap connection caught with my hair almost everything i tried to take it off plus never really use it. got rid off it right after OW.

like my XS Diva BCD, those rental ones never work for the petite me, tank move side to side through out the whole dive, got it right after OW.....

other than that, recently regret placing my order with scuba.com for the UK 100 Cannon rechargeable battery 5 weeks ago, it arrvied crack-open, i sent it back, they excahnged and sent it out with fedex but never arrived. fedex claimed cant' deliver cuz my name wasn't on the package; scuba.com claimed the barcode is damaged. who knows. meanwhile, no reply on emails and voice mails until yesterday from scuba.com, quote "You are always welcome, with our blessing, to shop elsewhere and pay more for less information and more limited inventory" humm.....

sorry off the topic, but those of you having scubatoys as LDS are soooo lucky. :(

Stuff I bought during OW class (just over 6 months ago) that I have since replaced:

Jacket BC - Bought a SeaQuest ProQD+. Used it for a few months and decided I wanted a BP/W.

BP/W with comfort harness - Actually this is just fine, except I recently replaced the comfort harness with plain old webbing. I should have bought this setup in the first place!

Aqualung Titan - Not really a regret, since I have it ready to go for when I buy a pony bottle, but I've replaced it with an Apeks XTX50 reg setup with a 7' hose.

Like almost everyone else, I've dumped the snorkel (except when the dive boat told us we needed one down on the Speigel Grove down in Florida).

I have a pair of AquaLung Blades II Flex fins that I want to replace with Jets or Turtles with spring straps.

I lucked out with my knife. My sister gave me a SMALL knife for my birthday. I thought it was a bit dinky at first, but I've come to realize it's just perfect (for a knife). I have it on my waist strap, not my leg! I think I'll probably steal a pair of medic shears from the Fire Dept. at some point. My current knife has a hard plastic sheath though that works well at holding my long hose in place, since I don't have a canister light (yet).

Console - I'm only recently becoming annoyed by this. I want a wrist mounted compass now. The console also has a depth gauge, which at the time I thought would be a good backup to my computer, but as it is I never look at it anyway. I'll probably buy a simple brass/glass SPG here in the next few months and do away with the console. I'll also secure it with a SS bolt snap instead of the retractor I'm using now.

#1 rear entry drysuit. wish it was front entry. #2 P.O.S. BC. it works fine, but i bought it during OW and i wish i had spent the money on a backplate and wing. #3 Legend reg and octo that was a display model. Saved a few bucks, ended up having them serviced twice in my first 6 dives to get them right. Legend regs are great, but spend the $$$ on new.

My Al80 tank (have a steel hp100 now)
My Console ... It's huge .. it's the poster child of what a "brick" is :rofl3: (i made the right choice of computer, nitrox capable)
My Air2, I have no trouble with it, but I think I would have been better served for the future by getting an octo

Cressi Reaction fins - bought because they matched my dry suit! Cut my feet to shreds every time I dived! The foot pocket is different from most other fins and whenever I would go deeper than a couple of feet they would squeeze in and crimp my feet causing dive-cancelling pain! (Replaced them with some turtle fins - best purchase ever!)

Cheap backup torch that flooded on its first dive. The only part that was any use was the free lanyard that came with it!

With everything else I was pretty careful when buying and have no complaints.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom