What defines technical diving - and how to get there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you have a lot of different divers from different backgrounds, different qualifications, different agencies all telling you the same thing yet we are all "fanatics"? Even nereas thinks it is crazy!!! Now THAT says something.

So you think nereas is crazy... nice.
Kal

So why did you bring it up? .So I'm forced to not have redunancy on my stage. Thanks.Why do you insist it is non-redundant? Oh yeah, once again
a restriction you want to lay on me.
Wild guess I guess. Sure, say don't do
this , don't do that because it's not as safe as I do it. Here
is what he told me. Email him, he will tell your how safe I dive. He will tell you I dive safer than anyone he knows because I keep insisting on doing the 'notox' acronym everytime I switch. A bit of an overkill for him. Your problem with CCR,, a wild guess
I guess. How the heck did I guess that?! I must be a magician!
Kal

If he taught you this stuff then I'm sure he will say you are safe. I'm getting a mental picture of you reciting your "notox" acronym while switching off your doubles at their MOD to go onto a stage for the deep portion of your dive, then looking back and confirming the switch with your instructor, who returns a reassuring "ok" with a wink. Scary, scary, scary.

If he taught you this stuff then I'm sure he will say you are safe. I'm getting a mental picture of you reciting your "notox" acronym while switching off your doubles at their MOD to go onto a stage for the deep portion of your dive, then looking back and confirming the switch with your instructor, who returns a reassuring "ok" with a wink. Scary, scary, scary.

Your assumption is flawed. This insructor is not DSAT savy.
He thought it ,,,Jr. high level... But we all dive at our
level of comfort and he allowed me to. Because there are
divers that will be more advanced and more seasonsed
than you or I will EVER be that have died because they
didn't switch properly. Do you doubt this?
Kal

Battles's problem isn't with the switchng protocal, it's with the choice to go to a single-source gas at a depth at which none of the other tanks are breathable.

If your redundancy is buddy-breathing a stage or performing a mini-ESA to the first breathable MOD, so be it. Personally, I'd rather match my largest gas source to my bottom mix so that I have built in redundancy (doubles) and enough lean gas to cover the loss of any shallower mix.

Battles problem isn't with the switchng protocal, it's with the choice to go to a single gas source at a depth at which none of the other gases are breathable.

Why do you insist that I have no other choice of gas? Bail out
bottle, buddy, go up a few feet. These are all logical and available
choices in a quarry. Do you guys never dive a quarry?
Kal

350 fsw for 15 mins. The max. Plug it into V-Planner and see what you get, with your own RMVs.

Multiple deco bottles gives you the best overall performance, almost as good as a CCR. And without the dangers of a CCR.

Complete gas plan please with gases and switches, etc. Should be easy right?

Kal

I think the point you continue to miss is that none of these so-called options would be necessary if you planned the dive properly to begin with. If at any point you think to yourself "Self, it might be a good idea to add a bail-out bottle to the doubles and 2 stages that I am already carrying just in case the stage I am planning to breahe on the bottom fails" then you probably need to go back to the drawing board.

The comment I made about the "notox" acronym was not a slight on DSAT, nor was I downplaying the risks of oxgen toxicity. It was aimed at the false sense of security this protocol and your instructor's advice has given you. You may have executed the switch safely, but you are "safely" switching into a dangerous situation. If you were so concerned about toxing, then "swimming up a little" on your back gas wouldn't be an option in your plan.

I'm done with thread. This has been beaten to death and we are way off topic. Like I have said twice now, if you want to discuss the issue in more detail, let's open a thread in the technical diving section and see what happens. You seem to think the ones here are "fanatics" so if anything you should get more support there, right?

Kal

guess you missed the second half of my post.

FWIW, no, I've never dived a quarry, though I don't see why I would treat it any differently than an OW ocean dive.

Back
Top Bottom