What defines technical diving - and how to get there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stopped doing long-hand dive plans a long time ago, when V-Planner was published. It does a really good job, and it's a lot more accurate than anything you yourself can do with a pencil. Plus it does not make mistakes.

Was I wrong?

Yep..that about sums it up..that's how it was explained to me years ago..also ...practice skills,practice, practice and practice, do it right,dive with people that are Continually doing that type of dive..FYI. whom ever you dive with..there Must be a Trust between both of you. Just some extra info..Have fun be safe..

Was I wrong?

You have to give him time to look it up on google.

Stage bottle, lots of back gas (dual 130's) and its doable. (plus 3 deco bottles, 120/70/20)

The Athel Viking is around 300ft and open circuit has been used on the Britannic (400ft). But a rebreather starts looking better at that depth.

(Note: I was the support diver for the Athel Viking dives)

Yep, thats about the way I see it. No stage.....no dive. Maybe Nereas has a really long snorkel............

Let's see, I'm assuming at 350 he'll be on 10/70, so theoretically he should be on travel gas for the first 30 feet or so.

I'll also assume he's really motoring it down there...

60 FPM from 30 to 350 => 5minutes * 7ATM * .7CFM/ATM = 25CF of backgas for descent

350 for 15 => 15minutes * 11.5ATM * .7CFM/ATM = 120CF of backgas at depth

First switch at 200 (which despite his claim in post 43 is at 1.4 not 1.6 ZOMG SOMETHING GUE DOES IS RIGHT) assuming he doesn't do any deep stops => 5minutes * 9.5ATM * .7CFM/ATM = 33CF of backgas to the first bottle.

From his posts in other threads, I don't think he believes in maintaining a reserve for his dive partners. If so, he could justify doing that dive on double 95s with no stages.

Off the cuff, 'Rock Bottom' for that profile would be about 140CF (making even double 130s inadequate), so personally: hell no.

edit: and since he's using Vplanner, that backgas at depth figure will be reduced by about 1/3 (I believe it would count the descent towards the 15 minutes).

Yeah, 350 and no deep stops........I think I will pass thank you. Unless someone can find a way to make really large bubbles pass through really small holes without tearing something............. Yes, V-planner does count the 7 minute descent as bottom time.........but we are talking about Nereas so you can just fudge 10 minutes at 12 ATA here and there...........

What a load of drakh......... I think even the "X-Box tech diver" game would freeze up.....

What? You don't have your own copy of V-Planner??

So now I am supposed to help you, as if you were a little child?

You do realise that there are actually other decompression programs out there other than V-planner ?!

Actually i guess you dont as previous posts you've only mentioned that 1 bit of software.

You do realise that there are actually other decompression programs out there other than V-planner ?!

Actually i guess you dont as previous posts you've only mentioned that 1 bit of software.

Bad guess.

Why mention the others, which are inferior? So which is your favorite, then? RGBM?

With RGMB you are going to need to somehow raise the shipwreck at least 1 ATA between repetitive deco dives. Got any liftbags?

"Are you sure you want to add Bismark to your ignore list?"

Definitely! Anyone who does not know that V-Planner computes deep stops is not worth the bandwidth wasted by them on the net.

Better go ahead and put the vast majority of scubaboard members on your list. The community using Vplanner is small.

And every clod has a silver lining. Thanks for putting me on your ignore list Nereas. I actually take that as a compliment. :)

BTW, my comment about deep stops was directed to the post I quoted, not you Nereas. But then you won't be seeing this post anymore will you?........What a wasted opportunity to work on your english as a second language skills......

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom