What defines technical diving - and how to get there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then again, in cave training I was taught how to do a visual jump and executed it.
Kal
Who was your instructor and what agency did he/she teach under for this class? I think we've all been dying to know for a few pages of this now...

hey all. i'm curious what it means to be a technical diver and how one can get there. what is the difference from rec and tech- besides they go much deeper and lug alot more gear -er sink to the bottom faster? :confused:

I’m guessing you now realize a primary component of becoming a technical diver having firm opinions and being willing to defend them ad infinitum. :D

Just so you know, you will get a similar response if you ask about the following subjects:

Spare Air, what size should I buy?
Should I get a vest or wing BCD?
Which is better NAUI, SSI, or PADI?
Etc….

I am by no means a technical diver, but it seems to me that you also need to purchase all your gear in black. I’m sure they cover that in one of the classes, but I haven’t gotten that far yet.

:Don't people dive singles all the time yet still have redundancy? Like, backup bottles,other divers, the option to ascend a little? Do the bottles have to be
manifolded to be considered redundant? What about sidemount divers? Their bottles
are not manifolded. Kal

I think what they are trying to tell you is that the normal and kosher progression of your various mixes in your various bottles and tanks is the following:

Bottom mix on your back
Progressive deco mixes based on MOD of each for ppO2 of 1.6 in succession.
100% O2 mix last bottle on the right.

I use lean to left, rich to right. In addition, the O2 reg is yellow or white, to warn me not to touch it before I get back to 20 ft. And all bottles are clearly marked.

If I were bringing 4 deco bottles for a really deep dive of 250 fsw or more, then in addition to my back-gas, these would be as follows:

TMX 20/40 (200 fsw to 140 fsw primarily, but all the way up to -0- as well)
TMX 30/30 (130 fsw to 80 fsw primarily, but all the way up to -0- as well)
EAN 50 (70 fsw to 30 fsw primarily, but all the way up to -0- as well)
100% O2 (20 fsw to 10 fsw primarily, but all the way up to -0- as well)

Then, at any given depth, I am supported by all the leaner mixes as redundancy for the mix that I am currently on, if that particular mix fails. That is what redundancy is, and this answers the question about stages and their contents as well.

With a single tank on your back, there is no redundancy, other than air sharing with your buddy, or else ESA to the surface.

I have been following this for a while & when I 1st read your dive example I thought *** would anyone do that for.
But I stayed out of it as I think battle2a5 sounds close to my thinking.
Just because you plan a dive like that, it does not REQUIRE multiple bottles, just you decide to do it with multiple bottles.

Me too. I agree.

Remember KISS ... Keep It Simple.

I think what they are trying to tell you is that the normal and kosher progression of your various mixes in your various bottles and tanks is the following:

Bottom mix on your back
Progressive deco mixes based on MOD of each for ppO2 of 1.6 in succession.
100% O2 mix last bottle on the right.

I use lean to left, rich to right. In addition, the O2 reg is yellow or white, to warn me not to touch it before I get back to 20 ft. And all bottles are clearly marked.

If I were bringing 4 deco bottles for a really deep dive of 250 fsw or more, then in addition to my back-gas, these would be as follows:

TMX 20/40 (200 fsw to 140 fsw primarily, but all the way up to -0- as well)
TMX 30/30 (130 fsw to 80 fsw primarily, but all the way up to -0- as well)
EAN 50 (70 fsw to 30 fsw primarily, but all the way up to -0- as well)
100% O2 (20 fsw to 10 fsw primarily, but all the way up to -0- as well)

Then, at any given depth, I am supported by all the leaner mixes as redundancy for the mix that I am currently on, if that particular mix fails. That is what redundancy is, and this answers the question about stages and their contents as well.

With a single tank on your back, there is no redundancy, other than air sharing with your buddy, or else ESA to the surface.

So what kind of bottom time are you getting from your doubles past 250' that makes you need 4 deco gases? I would enjoy seeing your gas plan as would many of us I am sure.

Who was your instructor and what agency did he/she teach under for this class? I think we've all been dying to know for a few pages of this now...

Do you think this procedure goes against the manual? Do you think
I have only had one instructor covering one agency? Do you think
I havn't been honest to one diver that has contacted me on PM?
You boys are likely as one writer said, "fanatics".
Kal

Do you think this procedure goes against the manual? Do you think
I have only had one instructor covering one agency? Do you think
I havn't been honest to one diver that has contacted me on PM?
You boys are likely as one writer said, "fanatics".
Kal

So you have a lot of different divers from different backgrounds, different qualifications, different agencies all telling you the same thing yet we are all "fanatics"? Even nereas thinks it is crazy!!! Now THAT says something.

So what kind of bottom time are you getting from your doubles past 250' that makes you need 4 deco gases? I would enjoy seeing your gas plan as would many of us I am sure.

350 fsw for 15 mins. The max. Plug it into V-Planner and see what you get, with your own RMVs.

Multiple deco bottles gives you the best overall performance, almost as good as a CCR. And without the dangers of a CCR.

Having "side" bottles with a lower MOD is not the real issue, it's diving beyond the MOD of your back gas with a non-redundant stage. Did you explain that part to him? And why would my advocacy of safe and very basic diving practices lead you to believe that I have a problem with CCR?

So why did you bring it up? .So I'm forced to not have redunancy on my stage. Thanks.Why do you insist it is non-redundant? Oh yeah, once again
a restriction you want to lay on me.
Wild guess I guess. Sure, say don't do
this , don't do that because it's not as safe as I do it. Here
is what he told me. Email him, he will tell your how safe I dive. He will tell you I dive safer than anyone he knows because I keep insisting on doing the 'notox' acronym everytime I switch. A bit of an overkill for him. Your problem with CCR,, a wild guess
I guess. How the heck did I guess that?! I must be a magician!
Kal

Back
Top Bottom