What defines a semi-dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alphonsis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It seems to be the interior flaps that slow the transfer of water at the ankle, wrist and neck. My question is how long do these flaps have to be for them to be effective?

When I checked out the hendersons they had what seemed to be about an 1.5 to 2" flap on the seals. Then I checked out a scubamax one which had much shorter flaps, about and inch.

Will this difference be notable?

It all depends on how well they seal on you, for example the seals on the original UNISUIT Neoprene Dry Gloves were only about 1/4 inch, they worked fine for some folks and not at all for others.

That's too bad, I guess I have to decide to pay more for the longer seals, or to buy the one with the shorter seals and hope I don't have to turn around and sell it for a loss...

Replacing the seal is never a big deal. If they are too loose you can always use a tube of thin, skin-2-side neoprene to make a auxillary seal for ankle or wrist.

does anyone here pee in their semi-dry? I mean how good are the seals, will you be swimming around in a balloon of your own piss afterwards?

l31gc:
does anyone here pee in their semi-dry? I mean how good are the seals, will you be swimming around in a balloon of your own piss afterwards?
It depends on the water outside, if it's really cold I'd hold it, if it's "not bad" you can pull the neck open a few times and "flush" it.:D

alphonsis:
It seems to be the interior flaps that slow the transfer of water at the ankle, wrist and neck. My question is how long do these flaps have to be for them to be effective?

..snip..

A lot comes down to how hairy you are. Body hair definitely breaks the seal.

stevead:
Semi-dry IMO is the same as semi-dead or semi-pregnant. You're either dry or not. a "semi-dry" is just a better than average wetsuit.

My Seac-sub semi-dry has seals that are almost as good as a dry suit. Normally the only water at the end of a dive is my own sweat.

l31gc:

No way - for the reason I just gave. And there is no way I can let water in to flush it without opening the rear zipper.

:coffee:
stevead:
Semi-dry IMO is the same as semi-dead or semi-pregnant. You're either dry or not. a "semi-dry" is just a better than average wetsuit.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can say that iam not meant to this ask of you.

E.L.7*

alphonsis:

When I checked out the hendersons they had what seemed to be about an 1.5 to 2" flap on the seals. Then I checked out a scubamax one which had much shorter flaps, about and inch.

It means anything the manufacturer wants it to mean.

Some are just short of being dry suits with sealing zippers and full blown neck, wrist and ankle seals.

Others are wetsuits with flip seals and maybe an extra water dam flap on the chest.

As others have mentioned, you can consider them to be high end wetsuits.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom