What compass do you use and where do you keep it?

What compass do you use and where do you keep it?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanic in console
not too happy about the indicator arrow though ,stupid fancy ^ shaped thing and not a line with arrowhead on it ---> ... not intuitive , harder to see how much deviation

DB

I have mine on a retractor with the retractor attached to the bottom right slot on my backplate. When horizontal it is retracted up under the wing yet if I move my arm, extended, up towards the wing, the compass is right there - no digging for it.

I went round and round a while choosing. Mahalo Scuba Shack for putting up with my prolonged agonizing mostly over the mounting.
The wrist bands were just way too clunky, huge and awkward…wait, maybe that’s me…anyway I couldn’t read it and hold it level at the same time without a lot of dinking it around on my wrist.
I wanted to try the bungee/wrist method but the actual compass I wanted (nonspecific name brand) didn’t seem bungee securable enough for my taste so I went for a very small retractor housing.
Clipped onto bottom D and stowed up into pocket. Sounds terrible but it fits very snugly along my BC. Easy to fish out and not drop if fishing something else out, but it hasn’t fallen out or snagged anything either. Also reels out perfect to use and doesn’t conflict with integrated weight. Not sure it’s the best way yet. Best so far I guess as I keep putting it back after trying other locations.

TeddyDiver:
I know. It's opposite bcs of my video/camera rig on my right hand...

I guess that makes us a stroke?? First the spring straps and now the compass, what is next? :D

I say other because I always wear a small compass on my watchband and it works fine for diving navigation unless I’m doing some serious mapping. For that I have a Dacor mounted on a slate.

I have a Saekodive 5510 on my left wrist. This compass doesn't tolerate a tilt like a SK7 but is cheap and it points to the North!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom