• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

What changed?

Discussion in 'Solo Divers' started by Akimbo, May 24, 2021.

1. Akimbo

Akimbo Just a diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

The Solo forum opened in 2004 and was closed to members unless they joined the Solo group. Google didn't index it and the subject was somewhere between politically incorrect and taboo. I joined ScubaBoard in 2009 and mentioning solo diving in other forums guaranteed endless hysteria and condemnation. It was opened to the entire membership, guests, and search engines in 2015.

I can't remember the last post that that freaked out over solo diving. What do you think changed and did ScubaBoard influence it?

Time to open the Solo Forum?

2. Ana

Ana Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    You want to see someone freaking out? I could post the last solo dives my husband and I took turns to do, few weeks ago.
    We took zero redundant gear, we went as deep as the reef took us, and came back up when we were good and ready within no deco. No rule of 3rds, just came back with the amount of air we felt was safe.

There's an illusion of solo being ok, but only if you take 10 tons of gear, get hours upon hours of solo training and make sure you only go 11.37 feet deep under x, y and definitely Z conditions.

oh yeah I forgot, you also have to warn others not to do what you just did, on your posts.

3. Akimbo

Akimbo Just a diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Solo has never been a problem in California that I have seen, which is one of the reasons I was so surprised when I first got on ScubaBoard. What about the rest of the World?

Sam Miller III likes this.
  4. Vicko

Vicko Contributor

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Solo rocks, one less person to worry about. If I can CESA from there I may as well solo it.

Anyone else has some spare fuel lying around?

Sam Miller III likes this.
  5. Voit Blue 50

Voit Blue 50 Registered

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I had no problems with solo diving in Southern Ontario, people were more interested in my double hose regulator setup

Rol diy likes this.
  6. Wookie

Wookie Curmudgeon Apprentice ScubaBoard Business Sponsor ScubaBoard Supporter

As something becomes more mainstream, or it's seen more and more often, it becomes less odd, therefore less scary. Discounting Ana, who has her own boat and can do anything she wants, cold water divers tend to be "better" divers, in that they seem to be more aware of their gear and their remaining air supply than the typical (and I'm making broad generalizations here) east coast vacation Caribbean diver, who dives with a divemaster constantly checking up on them.

7. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Woof! ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    PADI marketing a self reliant diver....

Esprise Me and Lorenzoid like this.
  8. Wookie

Wookie Curmudgeon Apprentice ScubaBoard Business Sponsor ScubaBoard Supporter

Also-ran

SDI marketing solo diver and insurance companies getting onboard.

9. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Woof! ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    The "real ones" were the tip of the iceberg. The tipping point was the "global marketing leader".... (I didn't say the best program)...

Wookie, lowwall and Akimbo like this.
  10. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Thanks Frank,

I did my 1st 10 years of diving in California. Now, with the exception of short visits to cold water, I do the majority of my diving in warmer water, most of it in SE Florida. I dive with plenty of solo divers who are quite competent in their diving skills and the monitoring of their gear and gauges

Frank was going to let me dive solo off the Spree, but I ended up bringing my son, instead. a memory of a lifetime.:)

Johnoly likes this.