What changed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
The Solo forum opened in 2004 and was closed to members unless they joined the Solo group. Google didn't index it and the subject was somewhere between politically incorrect and taboo. I joined ScubaBoard in 2009 and mentioning solo diving in other forums guaranteed endless hysteria and condemnation. It was opened to the entire membership, guests, and search engines in 2015.

I can't remember the last post that that freaked out over solo diving. What do you think changed and did ScubaBoard influence it?

Time to open the Solo Forum?

I can't remember the last post that that freaked out over solo diving. What do you think changed and did ScubaBoard influence it?

Time to open the Solo Forum?

You want to see someone freaking out? I could post the last solo dives my husband and I took turns to do, few weeks ago.
We took zero redundant gear, we went as deep as the reef took us, and came back up when we were good and ready within no deco. No rule of 3rds, just came back with the amount of air we felt was safe.

There's an illusion of solo being ok, but only if you take 10 tons of gear, get hours upon hours of solo training and make sure you only go 11.37 feet deep under x, y and definitely Z conditions.

oh yeah I forgot, you also have to warn others not to do what you just did, on your posts.

There's an illusion of solo being ok, but only if you take 10 tons of gear, get hours upon hours of solo training and make sure you only go 11.37 feet deep under x, y and definitely Z conditions.

Solo has never been a problem in California that I have seen, which is one of the reasons I was so surprised when I first got on ScubaBoard. What about the rest of the World?

Solo rocks, one less person to worry about. If I can CESA from there I may as well solo it.

Anyone else has some spare fuel lying around?

I had no problems with solo diving in Southern Ontario, people were more interested in my double hose regulator setup

As something becomes more mainstream, or it's seen more and more often, it becomes less odd, therefore less scary. Discounting Ana, who has her own boat and can do anything she wants, cold water divers tend to be "better" divers, in that they seem to be more aware of their gear and their remaining air supply than the typical (and I'm making broad generalizations here) east coast vacation Caribbean diver, who dives with a divemaster constantly checking up on them.

PADI marketing a self reliant diver....
Also-ran

SDI marketing solo diver and insurance companies getting onboard.

As something becomes more mainstream, or it's seen more and more often, it becomes less odd, therefore less scary. Discounting Ana, who has her own boat and can do anything she wants, cold water divers tend to be "better" divers, in that they seem to be more aware of their gear and their remaining air supply than the typical (and I'm making broad generalizations here) east coast vacation Caribbean diver, who dives with a divemaster constantly checking up on them.
Thanks Frank,

I did my 1st 10 years of diving in California. Now, with the exception of short visits to cold water, I do the majority of my diving in warmer water, most of it in SE Florida. I dive with plenty of solo divers who are quite competent in their diving skills and the monitoring of their gear and gauges

Frank was going to let me dive solo off the Spree, but I ended up bringing my son, instead. a memory of a lifetime.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom