What-cha-ma-call-its

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ST...

Dive Gear Express...DGX...

Butterfly Snap/hose Retainers...inexpensive/reusable...I've never had one break...

Much better than fiddling with line tying...

I'll pass on the cookies...too far to ship...

W.W...
View attachment 562832

Bought about 10 of those for about 1 US dollar each, hope they last. Thanks!

Side note to OP: If you had a more informative location in your avatar it might prevent some spurious suggestions on where to get stuff....

Yep, sorry for the confusion, i wasn't looking for any source in particular, just wanted other names of the bungee clip/retainer/thinga-ma-bob so i could plug it in a search engine to find it locally.

The DGX loops are just a tech version of what's already commonly available just about anywhere, in all sorts of colors and designs. Do a search for bobble or ball hair ties, and you'll see. Sold in multiples.

I found a mind boggling amount of those bobble/ball ties, i was worried if it would fit my purpose and wanted first hand account if anyone else in SB uses them. Seems like they work the same.

Yeah, I understand your frame of thought but I caught the following earlier on, as quoted from post #10 in this discussion thread:

"side note to all: DGX and other US/EU sites don't work for me as im based in SEA, shipping would cost more than the item. A for effort guys! finally found out what the what-cha-ma-call-its are called!"

I believe SEA is a SB accepted abbreviation for South East Asia.

-Z

And silly ol' me thought that SEA was universal everywhere!

Hi there OP, not sure if you have seen this video or not, I found it to be very helpful. After practicing the knot a couple of times, I can do it easily and correctly, and have showed a number of my friends how to do the same.

Dude shows how to bolt snaps onto a variety of common locations (reel, light, regulator, SPG) all using cave line. He also discusses to a few other ways to achieve the same, advocating against them. Basically, cave line has a nice combination of strength against normal wear and tear, plus it is still easy to cut with a knife or shears in an emergency scenario. The particular knot chosen is nice because it is stable -- ie it will not easily slide around on your hoses.

By the way, he uses the terms "knot" and "cross knot" a lot, which I found confusing. What he calls a simply "knot" I call an "overhand knot" and what he calls a "cross knot" I call a "reef knot" or "square knot." These are simple, common knots with a lot of regional names. Do make sure that you burn down the ends completely, and mush the excess plastic into the knot, so that the ends cannot back themselves up through the knot.

Hope this helps, dive safe.

Yep, i've came across that video before. Was meaning to try all the tips and tricks this thread has provided me yesterday but alas, i was caught up with something. i'll be sure to revisit the video the moment i can. Thanks!

Thanks to all that has replied and gave their input, obviously i know that a cave line/smb line would be more cost effective and easier to access but i wanted to try something new. And also, all the triple raisin cookies are on their way to you guys!

Bought about 10 of those for about 1 US dollar each, hope they last. Thanks!

Yep, sorry for the confusion, i wasn't looking for any source in particular, just wanted other names of the bungee clip/retainer/thinga-ma-bob so i could plug it in a search engine to find it locally.

I found a mind boggling amount of those bobble/ball ties, i was worried if it would fit my purpose and wanted first hand account if anyone else in SB uses them. Seems like they work the same.

And silly ol' me thought that SEA was universal everywhere!

Yep, i've came across that video before. Was meaning to try all the tips and tricks this thread has provided me yesterday but alas, i was caught up with something. i'll be sure to revisit the video the moment i can. Thanks!

Thanks to all that has replied and gave their input, obviously i know that a cave line/smb line would be more cost effective and easier to access but i wanted to try something new. And also, all the triple raisin cookies are on their way to you guys!

ST...

Happy to help...I'm a regular DGX customer...I usually include 6/8 of these with an order...for a buck a piece you can't go wrong...and if the need arises...they will ''break-a-way''...where knotted/tied line will not...and they look professional...

Best...

W.M...

ST...

Happy to help...I'm a regular DGX customer...I usually include 6/8 of these with an order...for a buck a piece you can't go wrong...and if the need arises...they will ''break-a-way''...where knotted/tied line will not...and they look professional...

Best...

W.M...
DGX has a very extensive list of products, many of which i'd like to procure, i am extremely jealous of you lot :(. IMO, i find the bungees looking more professional compared to a knotted line. and yes, i know i am about to get lynched.

DGX has a very extensive list of products, many of which i'd like to procure, i am extremely jealous of you lot :(. IMO, i find the bungees looking more professional compared to a knotted line. and yes, i know i am about to get lynched.

ST...

There are those who will say...''I don't care what it looks like as long as it works''...sadly...all too often...those who follow that philosophy....have gear that works like it looks...

W.M...

ST...

There are those who will say...''I don't care what it looks like as long as it works''...sadly...all too often...those who follow that philosophy....have gear that works like it looks...

W.M...
Well, the saying goes, each to its own. I have tested out knots (both professionally tied and shoddy knots by yours truly) and am still using that method now. I am just trying to find alternatives/improvements. Not saying one is better than the other but aesthetically, i know who gets the cookie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom